Weber Q Grills Collapsing

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
robbo389

Post by robbo389 »

Hi, I own a Weber family Q & have recently replaced (under warranty) my grills. The new grills constantly fall into the BBQ any time I try to turn what I am cooking. One side collapses & when I finally manage to get that back in place the other side will collapse. I"m unable to clean the grills as well (obviously). Has this happened to anyone else as well ?

Cheers,

Robbo
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

My 3100 is ok.

Post a picture and it might be easier to see what is causing it.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Weber Q Grills Collapsing

Post by Davo »

robbo389 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 1:44 pm Hi, I own a Weber family Q & have recently replaced (under warranty) my grills. The new grills constantly fall into the BBQ any time I try to turn what I am cooking. One side collapses & when I finally manage to get that back in place the other side will collapse. I"m unable to clean the grills as well (obviously). Has this happened to anyone else as well ?

Cheers,

Robbo
Crikey robbo.....that's the very first time I've heard that happening.....have you checked that the lugs that hold up the grill grates haven't snapped off....could be that either the grill grates are undersized during manufacture or the base of the Weber Q is at fault.
I have an earlier Q320 Family and the grates sit in solid rigidness and I constantly change one grate for the Hotplate and never have had this issue.
You stated that you're grates were replaced under warranty, is that because they rusted or something?
If the new ones arn't sitting properly, then they are undersized....I'm wondering if they gave you grills from a different sized Q but there is a major difference in the width.

I'd say contact Weber or email them to explain your issue as they would want to know about this.....did your old grills fit ok?

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

That is a shame and a problem as well that I'm sure the Weber retailer would like to see :(

I thoroughly clean my Baby 'Q' grills with the recommended steel wire brush each time I finish cooking, and again when I fire it up I give it a bit of a brush to get rid of any 'vermin' that may have accumulated there in an attempt to call it home in between cooking sessions :)

My grills have never moved and have never given me any trouble.
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G'day
I had the single piece grill grate replaced under warranty with a new 2 piece grates on my Q 200. It came with a pair of stainless steel clips to modify the BBQ to take the 2 piece grill grates.
Could these have been missed somehow? Be worth checking with Weber.
Regards dave
robbo389

Post by robbo389 »

Guys,

This also happened with my solid grill plate as well but not to the extent it is happening now. The BBQ is almost unusable now as it is a safety concern, trying to re position hot grills.
I have contacted Weber support re the problem. Will let you know the outcome.

Cheers,
Robbo
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Mate, sorry you've been having so many issues with your Q

Yes please let us know how you go with Weber....this will be one of the most interesting issues we've had in a while.

How old is the Weber Q you have robbo?
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Got to agree with Davo that this is a very interesting problem.

The last time when something like this happened with a Q was when the owner had a large fat fire and it warped everything.
robbo389

Post by robbo389 »

Davo wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:32 am Mate, sorry you've been having so many issues with your Q

Yes please let us know how you go with Weber....this will be one of the most interesting issues we've had in a while.

How old is the Weber Q you have robbo?
Will be 5 years old in Aug
robbo389

Post by robbo389 »

Hi Guys,

12x7 was correct....Weber got back to me & said the bowl must be warped....so they are sending a new replacement bowl. I'v had a few fat fires but nothing serious & was always about to extinguish the flames. I would have thought a BBQ could withstand some heat ! Anyway, Weber have been fantastic about it. Great customer service.

Thanks for all your suggestions & advice.

Cheers, Robbo
robbo389

Post by robbo389 »

Guys,

Whilst I still have your attention.......is it possible that the cooking function of the Weber may have changed since the warping? The reason I ask is because I used to be able to cook steaks perfectly medium rare & for the last 6 months the steaks are greyish colour (not pink) in the middle. It could quite possibly be the quality of the meat, but our supplier hasn't changed.

Cheers,

Robbo
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

What type of steaks and how thick the cut?
robbo389

Post by robbo389 »

12x7 wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:31 am What type of steaks and how thick the cut?
Porterhouse....bit thicker than about 2 cms. Usually cook 3 mins on 1st side & 2 mins on other side.....both burners flat out.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Sounds ok. Have you used an instant read thermometer to check the meat temp?
C.B & S.

Post by C.B & S. »

Hi,
Agree with 12x7s comment above and trying the thermos.
But...as an ex butcher it seems like a meat issue....but I may be wrong.
After all nothing it what it seems sometimes.
Cheers. :shock:
"Keeping Smoking Simple" (c)
Aldi Smoker. Camp Chef 18" Smoke Vault/ Masterbuilt Thermo-Temp XL--( All Gas )
Z & B 4 burner Turbo Classic
Maverick ET-7/72.Thermoworx Smoke
Yoder Kingsman & Other BBQ gear for HIRE.