Pizza on a Weber Q

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
barney

Pizza on a Weber Q

Post by barney »

Hi Guy's,

I was watching some horrid show where they believe they are Master Chef's :wink:

Any way they used a unglazed Terracotta tile as a Pizza stone. I though this was a great idea to use on my 300.

So I have read a few tips on here about raising your Pizza towards the lid.

Has anyone tried Terracotta and how far do you need to raise the cooking area in the 300? I have a few of those 400ml tomato tins sitting around, too high?

I think the clay would do an excellent job, the only concern would be getting the 300 hot enough and not losing to much heat when I lift the lid.

Thanks
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Pizza on a Weber Q

Post by Davo »

Barney,I'm not sure if the 3 tins idea will be too tall for the Q but what I've done on my Q220 is with the square Weber Vegetable grill tray, turn upside down,put non-stick metal pizza tray with holes in it, on top of the vegie tray and that gets me right into the lid without touching and the pizzas cook very nicely.
The square tray has high sides on it with a good wide base and because it's all metal, heats up rather well.
Now i must admit that i rarely use dough for my bbq pizzas but a wholemeal lebanese bread instead, comes out like a thin & crispy pizza with lots of crunch.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

I've got 3 pizza stone (I have only used two the other one is till in its original wrapping).
I'm just wondering whether a terracotta tile is thick enough to "retain" enough heat; I feel that my thicker stone give me better results.

I am awaiting another stone (which I believe is an inch thick.....) for my pizza baking.

Paul
PS Is it quiet because its winter? (not that we Queenslanders really have a winter).
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Paul,

Dont tell me your stone hasn't turned up yet! Must be 6 months ago you were talking about it?

On the Pizza, I'd try the three can method....maybe use shorter cans.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
barney

Post by barney »

paulr wrote:I've got 3 pizza stone (I have only used two the other one is till in its original wrapping).
I'm just wondering whether a terracotta tile is thick enough to "retain" enough heat; I feel that my thicker stone give me better results.

I am awaiting another stone (which I believe is an inch thick.....) for my pizza baking.

Paul
PS Is it quiet because its winter? (not that we Queenslanders really have a winter).

The terracotta should be fine for holding heat irrespective of the thickness, and it is available in different thicknesses. Pizza stones too come in different thickness so I dont see that as a problem. I really want to maximise the potential for cooking pizza in the 300.
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

barney wrote: The terracotta should be fine for holding heat irrespective of the thickness, and it is available in different thicknesses. Pizza stones too come in different thickness so I dont see that as a problem. I really want to maximise the potential for cooking pizza in the 300.
My current pizza stones are about 7 mm thick (which i guess is the same as a terracotta tile??).
The one I've been waiting for is especially made for the Komodo Kamado; in the meantime I did buy some other (man's gotta have his toys!).

Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
barney

Post by barney »

Well an up date on the Pizza making....

I had a 30cm pizza stone ( I say had because it broke on the 300) that I used on my little smokey joe, which generally works well but I find that by the time its ready heat wise I dont seem to get much cooking time out of it...So the 300....

400ml tom tins way to high, next 310ml tins still to high for a 30cm pizza stone. Given the way this bbq is set up I dont think you would achieve a lot by raising the stone. So I used the roasting trivet put the stone on that and away we go.

This weber is no Pizza oven, should have been my first clue, by the time you stuff around trying to get your pizza onto the stone you lose so much internal heat. It did cook them ok not as good as the smokey joe. Wow I used a lot of gas.

Paul when I say terracotta tile I am being very general. I should just say terracotta because I am thinking of getting a "tile" that is half an inch thick give or take. I am also thinking that a few metal pizza trays would be better too in terms of conserving the internal heat. Make your pizza on the tray, open the lid chuck it in close the lid done. I think having the heated terracotta base would help a couple of ways. Possibly by retaining heat so less gas can be used and also to cook the crust from the bottom.

Any way I will let you all know when I have another go at this.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

This might help you....in your woolies or coles, you can buy a pack of 4 snack tins of baked beans, they are about 200 grams each or something but the tins are high enough for the Q....eat em up and use a non-stick holed metal pizza tray and you'll be ok...give it a go

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
ideaswoman

Post by ideaswoman »

I had a terracotta tile, thick type and tried it on my 220. It is now in pieces. I had it raised off the q burner but not high enough... obviously! The pizza did cook great. These tlies are only a couple of dollars so I will try again.
Gayle - The Ideas Woman
I pay big $$$ for recommending my services - contact me for more details
bluesbruva

Post by bluesbruva »

Quick question

I am in Melbourne, and am wanting to get a thick terra-cotta tile for exactly this!! Can anyone suggest a place?
mickr

Post by mickr »

i use a pair of 300mm square 12mm thick terracotta tiles, i just put two grill plates in my 320 with two sheets of al foil around the bottom of tiles to distribute the heat and to protect the bars.

heat them up at about 220 for about half an hour then crank it to about 280-300 indirect with the middle burner fairly light on. pizzas cook an absolute treat on it. really nice crispy bases and just enough cooking on the top.
hecle

Post by hecle »

I do plenty of homemade pizza including the dough on my OTG+ Kettle - with a tiny soaked wood chip in for each pizza. I'm certain the pizza stone thing is all but unnessacery. The most important factor is heat. I need 200c plus.

I do lift my cooking surface up above the usual grill (on a rib rack) and sit a steel plate on that(Q breakfast hot plate)

My pizza's are relativly small, thin based & lightly coverd with toppings. Cook in 3-5 minutes every time.