How do side burners stack up?

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
weststigers

How do side burners stack up?

Post by weststigers »

First of all hi to everyone.

I'm in the market for my first BBQ. I was looking at a cheapy from BBQG/Bunnings but after finding this forum I had enough ammunition to convince my girlfriend that spending a bit more is the way to go. You guys have also got me excited about roasting etc. on a BBQ. I think I'll be using the BBQ a lot more than I had originally thought.

I'm now tossing up between a Weber Q 3200 and a Weber Spirit E320 (they are discontinued but my local bbq shop is selling for $899 including a cover and extra half hot plate). The side burner on the Spirit is the only reason I haven't already bought the Q. How do they stack up against a kitchen stove? Do they get as hot and as quick? Could I do a wok stir fry on them? Are they really useful or just a bit of a gimmick?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: How do side burners stack up?

Post by Davo »

weststigers wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:15 am First of all hi to everyone.

I'm in the market for my first BBQ. I was looking at a cheapy from BBQG/Bunnings but after finding this forum I had enough ammunition to convince my girlfriend that spending a bit more is the way to go. You guys have also got me excited about roasting etc. on a BBQ. I think I'll be using the BBQ a lot more than I had originally thought.

I'm now tossing up between a Weber Q 3200 and a Weber Spirit E320 (they are discontinued but my local bbq shop is selling for $899 including a cover and extra half hot plate). The side burner on the Spirit is the only reason I haven't already bought the Q. How do they stack up against a kitchen stove? Do they get as hot and as quick? Could I do a wok stir fry on them? Are they really useful or just a bit of a gimmick?
If you can get the 3 burner Spirit for that price and those extras...I'd say it's a pretty good deal. you still get the awesome service and warranty with it like a new one....so you just can't lose. The Spirit is pretty much a Chinese made version made under strict quality controls to compete with the cheaper brands...that's all, you still get the legendary performance.

Side burners are good for making sauces, boiling veggies, lighting up charcoal chimneys but unless the Wok is a thin one with good heat retention, they struggle to get them hot enough apparently. I've only ever had one side burner BBQ and it was ok but didn't use it much at all. It's be good for frying onions and mushies if the rest of the bbq is taken up.....if you don't want to use it, just fold down the lid and it becomes a little work table again.
If it was me, the Spirit you can buy is only about $200 more than the Q so that's what i be going for..even though I think the Weber Q is an awesome grill.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
weststigers

Post by weststigers »

Thanks Davo
I'll see if I get any other replies and make a decision next weekend
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Better not muck around if you want that BBQ.....if theres only one left, you only need someone to buy it before you.
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5