Built in Weber Q or Beefeater signature or other?

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
El Bisho

Built in Weber Q or Beefeater signature or other?

Post by El Bisho »

Hi all,

Still sorting out which BBQ to go with for outdoor kitchen/entertaining area. Got some good links from Davo for top end Weber range and Lifestyle BBQs but not sure if we can justify spending that much when I prefer cooking on a Weber Kettle when I have time. Looking at spending maximum 3 grand on a reliable, easy to clean, quality gas built in that I will use for everyday quick meals etc. I envisage that when we have a load of people over I would use both in combo and don't think I would ever use the gas BBQ for large pieces of meat considering the results the kettle delivers. Just wanted to pick your brains over the toss up between built in Weber Q or maybe Beefeater Signature or any other suggestions you mob have.
Will the family built in Q be big enough if I do have a crowd around?
Which one will stand the test of time? If I am building bench around it I need it to last.
If I get the Weber Q the dimensions are smaller than other 4 burner built-ins. Am I limiting myself to the same model if and when I do need to replace it?

Any ideas or advice is much appreciated,

Cheers

El Bisho
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Built in Weber Q or Beefeater signature or other?

Post by Davo »

Hi Again El Bisho,

Ok I've given this a bit of thought, If it was me, I personally wouldn't have any BBQ Built in but buy a combo of stand alone BBQs that will give you the versatility in cooking for yourself and your guests.

Build the benchtop possibly with sink and water connected for clean up and prep duties, maybe even a small beer fridge underneath would be good to keep you hydrated and immediate products like butter cool.

I would probably have either a free standing Weber Q3200 or a more traditional 4 burner gas grill for the fast immediate cook-ups...weber Q preferable..but that's just me :P so that'll be in the vacinity of around $750

I would keep the kettle for your charcoal duties, maybe buy some accesories for it like the rotiserie and /or the pizza oven set.
(these are usually from 3rd party manufacturers and not from Weber ) except maybe this https://www.weberbbq.com.au/weber-acces ... 00-series/
and this
https://www.weberbbq.com.au/weber-acces ... otisserie/

Then....to do my overnight low n slow smoking sessions, I would probably go with one of these Traeger Pellet grills. I had one of the earlier made in America models a few years back, exactly the same as Captain Cook has and the same as the larger Texas style model you'll see in the Website. Loved it but a small time of unemployment meant i had to get rid of a cooker.
They may not has some of the bells and whistles of the more expensive models, but they'll do the same job as good if not better.
https://www.bbqsandoutdoor.com.au/traeg ... -adelaide/

So even buying the larger 34 model at $1799, with all I've mentioned bar the fridge and weber accesories will set you back between $2500 and $3000, you'll have 3 different types of grills to tackle any type of outdoor cooking.

Just to add, if you want to incorporate any kind of cooking to your bench then buy a proper 3 ring (of holes) Wok Burner. Don't buy anything smaller unless you don't particularly want to muck around with Woks then a small one will suffice but a proper Wok burner will handle anything. Have a seperate cylinder for those.

Now with this set up you will be required to have 3 types of BBQ fuel around....Gas for the Q, Charcoal or Heatbeads for the Kettle and a few bags of different flavour wood pellets for the Traeger. (by the way...Traeger invented the pellet grill originally)

So there you have it....I would arrange them so all the Cookers are side by side 90 degree angle to the benchtop (prep area) and sink. Not knowing how your area will be set up, this is the way I'd have my outdoor area....I don't like BBQs taking up my bench space. But that's just me :)

Something to ponder I guess!!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:roll:

2nd vote for the bigger weber 'Q'

What can't the weber do? - other than the obvious like smoking, but then you use a dedicated smoker for the use.

I also would not 'build it in' either, sure make an area for it, but have it so u can move it around on the deck, or area it resides.
You can leave it under a shelf when not in use etc, to save space etc.
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
El Bisho

Post by El Bisho »

Yeah thanks for the replies. We have discussed that too as a real possibility as we could lug a family Q in the ute and camper for one of our trips and then we would not have to get the bench more customized than it has to be. Already going to spend plenty on floors and benches I suspect. Been doing lots of low and slow over the past few days in the Kettle with good results. I am guessing that a dedicated wood pellet smoker just gives more control over temperature and consistency? I will look into them

Thanks again
El Bisho

Post by El Bisho »

On further investigation cant get a family Q that sits on a bench and the stand and trolley affair are a must for cooking with it. Therefore taking it camping is not really on option. Anyone got any reports on Ziggy Triple Grill that can sit on bench top and is portable? It seems the cooking space in one of these is equivalent to Family Q.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

El bisho...you can buy the mid sized Q2200 which with the folding cart is very portable and sits in the boot very easily.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
El Bisho

Post by El Bisho »

After doing a bit more net research and chatting to family who own Ziggy and Weber Q, I am definitely leaning towards Ziggy Triple due to size and portability. Thanks for the idea of looking at a Traeger......I floated it with the boss and she laughed and did not shoot it down immediately (a good sign). I will reserve some real estate in the area for it once other major expenses are covered.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Some people have been using their Flybuy points to get their Weber Q so they have ended up paying zero.