Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Cobblerdave

Re: Weber Baby Q frame MELTS to the ground

Post by Cobblerdave »

G'day
http://aussiecue.dudeworld.com.au/STC/i ... 45#msg3645
I know it's another forum but hears another fat fire that Weber has come to the party with a replacement parts. You can't fault Weber I've had a grate and a igrill thermometer replaced, I can't fault them.
I've had a fire and my Q200 survived.
Regards Dave
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

I emailed weber yesterday after it happened and when I was possibly a bit hyped up and furious :roll:

I received a reply this morning with their 20 questions and request for photos

So have answered their questions and sent maybe a dozen photo's early today, some I took this morning as they were requested of different angles to those I had taken yesterday :cry:

I was told by a friend who saw the Pork roast before it went into the weber (raw) it contained too much fat - bloody hell more problems, but talking with him today he tells me the weber could not handle the amount of fat/oil produced and it went through the outer holes on the side of the weber convection tray and down onto the burners causing the fire :oops:

Looking like I will now trade the rubbish left for a Ziggy now :lol: :lol:
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
choicebro

Post by choicebro »

Wow Mainey, so lucky to not have caused a major fire that could have damaged your home or put your family at risk.
I'm glad that the damage was limited to your que and maybe a bit of your pride but nothing too serious overall.

I have a Ziggy 2 burner and absolutely love it. The option of having both grills on or one on / one off makes it so much more versatile than the baby q I have.
The choice of a hot plate and grill plate or 2 grill plates is also very handy
My baby q now only makes an appearance as my camping que due to its portability.

I do a lot of roasts in my Ziggy and always use a tray and trivet to contain the fat / juices. That way I can make a nice gravy with the juices and the crunchy bits that end up in the bottom.

Cheers
Choicebro
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Glad you and the family are OK, Mainey

I have a little Hark that we use with our caravan, it isn't big enough to put a roast in but it would take a butterflied chicken. After looking at your photo's I went down and looked at the Hark and other then the handle on the lid everything else is steel.

Hope Webber come to the party

Cheers L
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

When you have any pork roast with the skin on, there is a lot of fat underneath.
I generally pour boiling water on the sliced skin first to render some of the fat from there.
It doesn't matter what bbq you have, if the set up is wrong, you could end up with a fat fire.
It would be best if you placed the trivet in the Weber foil tray on the grill bars then the roast on top of trivet or another foil roasting pan on top of trivet to reduce chance of a fat fire.
The old double folded foil method isn't great for high fatty roast as theres no edge to stop run offs.

I hope Weber helps you out with new plastic under carriage. The bbq itself should still work ok with some elbow grease to clean up the blackened areas.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

My setup is a doubled over sheet of foil, trivet, foil tray with a roasting rack inside the tray and then the pork.
To prepare the pork, I pour boiling water over the pork rind and pat it dry then I rub it with canola or vegetable oil and then salt the rind.
I never have fires and get perfect results, at the 1 hour mark I lift the pork and roasting rack out and put the veggies in then put the rack and pork back in.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:mrgreen:

is now Xmas week and I had expectations of using the BBQ on the weekend :roll:

Have had no reply to the information weber requested and I sent back to them on Monday... yet

Will phone Donna this morning to get an idea as to what is happening in Adelaide.
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

Weber has told me this morning they will replace the Baby 'Q' with a new one today :D

Had a chat with Donna at Weber, she is very helpful as to the way to cook pork on the Baby Q

This has given me a fresh perspective of the Weber Q :D
Insert huge smiley face here :arrow:
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Wow.....Weber triumphs again...thats excellent news Mainey.......i'll always deal with a company that truly stands by their products & customers.

Merry Xmas
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
choicebro

Post by choicebro »

That's great news Mainey.

Cheers
Choicebro
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Mainey . . . wrote::mrgreen:

Weber has told me this morning they will replace the Baby 'Q' with a new one today :D

Had a chat with Donna at Weber, she is very helpful as to the way to cook pork on the Baby Q

This has given me a fresh perspective of the Weber Q :D
Insert huge smiley face here :arrow:
Great news. On the odd times that something has occurred to a Weber it has always been good to hear that Weber Australia as assisted owners with issues and at no cost to the owners. Let's see this from some other companies.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:D :lol: :lol:

Picked up a new replacement Q this afternoon :lol:

the store manager was amazed at the damage done to the weber Q

Initially it was thought I would get a new frame, as it was believed the aluminium body would still be good.... even I thought I could clean it, but he admitted the whole thing was just unusable with so much damage, so now a brand new, in a sealed box, weber Q was put into the back of my car by the manager.

Yes...... to buy a quality product often has a higher initial cost but.... in the long term it is just cheap insurance built into the product

( off the record - the convection ? foil has been blamed for the flair-up, as the side holes are above the burners )
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

How bloody unlucky can you get :oops:

One of the grills has what looks like the end of a bit of welding rod attached in three places and then it's been enameled :(
the bits stand proud and would be good at stopping the steaks from moving up or down the grill but the grill is FLAT so the steaks do not need to move
Yeahhh, I know it won't be welding rod, but that's just what it looks like :roll:

I went to my local weber dealership with the grill and they told me to phone weber, as they could not be of any assistance to me.

Is no wonder I bought the weber in another town, where I had to drive 58 Km, one way, for the pleasure :lol:

So I phoned weber as the local agent said I must do, see I often do what I'm told, I was told by the receptionist ( chick who answered the phone ) the service ppl had gone home, said she would send a new grill after looking up my file etc

This confirms to me the value of good service to customers :D
I was told to use the grill on Xmas day if the new one was not delivered in time.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

Re the aluminium oil/fat replacement containers that are situated under the baby Q :roll:

.............. :arrow: Does anyone know of a generic container that does fit the Baby Q weber ????

I don't want to drive the almost 100 Km just to get some replacement trays/containers :cry: