Low temperature control for ziggy triple grill

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
alex_m_84

Low temperature control for ziggy triple grill

Post by alex_m_84 »

I did a lamb roast the other day onon my ziggy triple grill. One side burner on low was a constant 150 degrees.

I want to try a recipe which calls for 120 degrees. I'm guessing that opening the lid slightly will achieve this? Is there something that people use that can gradually lift or raise the lid to adjust? Something threaded maybe?

Otherwise I was think I could maybe install a vent on the hood like the kettles have. Anyone seen this done on a gas BBQ?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Low temperature control for ziggy triple grill

Post by Davo »

Those little gas grills as well as the big ones are not designed for low n slow, gas needs a certain amount of pressure to stay alight, if you wish to experiment with low n slow, its best you buy a used Weber kettle and learn to control live fire with venting or you can get cabinet style gas smokers from Hark which you'll find on ebay.
A pellet grill will do just about anything you want as it has a digital thermostat.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
alex_m_84

Post by alex_m_84 »

I wouldn't think the lid open/vented a bit would matter. I can cook with the lid fully up/open so there isn't an issue of the gas going out.
Was just wondering what people did to drop the temps in the hood a bit.

I will get a kettle style cooker eventually. Just wanted to check if there was an easy solution for the gasser in the mean time.

Thanks
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G'day
Place a roasting pan full of water, rack on top of that and meat on top of the rack. The water will act as a moderator/ heat sink and will have to be checked and topped up hourly. Crack the lid and rest on a kitckrn spoon you'll not need a large gape to cause a drop in temp. This works on a Weber Q200 so it should work much the same.
Regards Dave
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

The reason i stated what i did was because i don't want this forum advocating the process of some folks before who were attempting to turn gas down at the bottle to minimise pressure so they can manage a lower flame....it is dangerous and not recommended.

Live fire however has none of the dangers involved as does gas when using advanced techniques and can be easily snuffed out by suffocation.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
alex_m_84

Post by alex_m_84 »

Thanks. That's a good idea. I will try that later this week.

I understand what you mean Dave. I have since read people recommending adjustable pressure regulators off eBay and would never go down that path. Just seems like asking for trouble.

I'll try the water and Crack the lid open a bit. I suppose if I mess it up it will be a good excuse to get the Weber kettle :)
doobie

Post by doobie »

yep, definitely water in a container will help keep temp down - no need to have lid open at all and one or both knobs on low, just experiment a little - had mine down to 130c for a slow cook this way.
Fents

Post by Fents »

scrunched up ball of foil i've used before