Beafeater Bugg issues

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Cobblerdave

Re: Beafeater Bugg issues

Post by Cobblerdave »

G'day
Regardless of what caused the problem, it is a problem. Not yours,as it doesn't operate as it is supposed to, and as you have been sold to operate a certain way and it doesn't, it's there problem.
Regardless of when you first reported it, if the problem still remains it's still a problem regardless of the time.
First the seller, if they don't cooperate, especially at this stage get in touch with the state regulator.
Any receipts any correspondents keep, if you don't have everything at you fingertips, don't worry it doesn't make you a lyer or a dishonest person. Be firm,be honest, and you'll get there
Regards dave
Joey79

Post by Joey79 »

I would like to thank you all for chiming in with your tips and advice.

It really is much appreciated and i am very grateful.

I have made little a recording a what actually happens. Although it happens pretty quick once the lid opens, you can actually see the flame reigniting.

Its unfortunate i am unable to upload the video on this thread.
Muppet

Beafeater Bugg issues

Post by Muppet »

You can post it to YouTube and then link it. It's been done many times before mate.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Joey79

Post by Joey79 »

i tried my best to capture what actually happens. It is difficult as it all happens very quickly.

If you Look at the burner on the right you will see it reignites as I open the lid (the outside of the burner).

I am thinking of just take it back to Joe's and getting a exchange for a different brand altogether.

https://youtu.be/t8b5fF_ItmU
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

Joey79 wrote:i tried my best to capture what actually happens. It is difficult as it all happens very quickly.

If you Look at the burner on the right you will see it reignites as I open the lid (the outside of the burner).

I am thinking of just take it back to Joe's and getting a exchange for a different brand altogether.

https://youtu.be/t8b5fF_ItmU
Maybe I am missing something but i couldn't see or hear anything
but laptop speakers are rather quiet
Joey79

Post by Joey79 »

It is difficult to capture what happens. As soon as I left the lid the flame reignites
Joey79

Post by Joey79 »

It makes me look like I am losing my marbles, but I can tell you it does happen.

I have nothing to gain in making this up.
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

Joey79 wrote:It makes me look like I am losing my marbles, but I can tell you it does happen.

I have nothing to gain in making this up.
I have over 10 years experience in dealing with gas appliances. Gas can do some weird and freaky things that i still can't explain.
Most common issue is regulators playing up, especially if they aren't being used regularly.

That is what i beleive is the cause to your problem. Besides to my inbox to you, if you took your hose and regulator off your bbq, along with your receipt of where you brought it. I am sure they would swap it over ( i know i would )and send it back to beefeater.
dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

FirePlay wrote:There is one possible explanation . It could be the fresh air intake on the gas burner (no idea where it is on a Bugg but it's usually just the other side of the relevant knob), which mixes the gas with fresh air to create the correct "blue flame", could be slightly blocked.

When the lid is open, there could be enough oxygen to go around inside the BBQ for this not to make a big impact (although I would still expect to see a more orange than blue flame with a deficiency of oxygen). But when the lid is closed and with the other burner consuming all the available oxygen, the fire goes out...

Is the flame on this burner more orange than the other one? In any case it would be worth checking for blockages everywhere between the burner controls and the jets. You may need a paperclip or similar to scratch around and blow things out etc. Just a thought before you lawyer up with Beefeater!
This is where I put my money..

My weber Q would do this and to solve I would leave the lid open for a few minutes to burn and residue/block possible left over and then close it and it would stay on..
If you have an air compressor try remove the part and blow some air in it
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

You've just reminded me of when I cleaned my Q200 last summer, and struck a similar issue.
It would light, but not burn strongly) and when I closed the lid it would go out.

Eventually I found the problem - the burner tube had a layer of water in it - not enough to block it, but enough to reduce the air (thus oxygen) able to flow through it, running the gas too rich, and snuffing out the flame. With the lid up, there was enough air exchange to provide the required oxygen to burn it.

So I'm with the idea of checking the burner tube for any sort of blockage or restriction, or anything covering the air inlet on the burner (just past the gas jet) which has been mentioned earlier.

As Mark noted, a stuffed reg can also be the cause - allowing too much gas for the available oxygen. Additional gas won't burn with any larger flame unless there's a corresponding amount of additional oxygen available to it, so don't discount a faulty reg.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
Buzabbq

Post by Buzabbq »

Mixin wrote:You've just reminded me of when I cleaned my Q200 last summer, and struck a similar issue.
It would light, but not burn strongly) and when I closed the lid it would go out.

Eventually I found the problem - the burner tube had a layer of water in it - not enough to block it, but enough to reduce the air (thus oxygen) able to flow through it, running the gas too rich, and snuffing out the flame. With the lid up, there was enough air exchange to provide the required oxygen to burn it.

So I'm with the idea of checking the burner tube for any sort of blockage or restriction, or anything covering the air inlet on the burner (just past the gas jet) which has been mentioned earlier.

As Mark noted, a stuffed reg can also be the cause - allowing too much gas for the available oxygen. Additional gas won't burn with any larger flame unless there's a corresponding amount of additional oxygen available to it, so don't discount a faulty reg.
Wouldn't the gas then buildup and go poof! when you open the lid and introduce the air ?
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

Buzabbq wrote:
Mixin wrote:You've just reminded me of when I cleaned my Q200 last summer, and struck a similar issue.

Wouldn't the gas then buildup and go poof! when you open the lid and introduce the air ?
No - there is air flowing through the BBQ vents all the time, forced through by the heat - the gas would exit the BBQ in the same manner so no real chance for it to build up.
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

Exactly. The heat (even latent) draws air through (just not enough) to burn/dissipate the gas.

In the case of my Q when I had water in the tube, the flame dropped right down low when the knob was on high, and it made no difference winding back to low, or up to high - it was still a low flame. But it was still burning the available gas. When the flame went out, it didn't re-ignite when I lifted the lid, so there was no ignition source to light any gas that could have been sitting in there.

I think the best term to use is "mixture" or "air/fuel ratio" - gas will burn (completely) across a wide range of mixture levels, but there's a window where it burns most efficient - that's at the correct air/fuel ratio - and it will burn much hotter. This is what BBQs rely on for the heat (cost efficiency = minimum size possible, with enough flow at the right mixture to create the required heat).

This is very clear when dyno-tuning a straight gas car. Too much gas, and power drops off severely (too rich) but the gas is still burnt - none comes out the tailpipe as raw gas.
Likewise too lean, and the power drops off dramatically as well. Get it right, and you make bulk power (well, on a twin GasResearch throttle body fed 5.6 litre V8...)
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
Joey79

Post by Joey79 »

Ok,

I used the bbq today. It happened again. Basically I am unable to trust having the lid down and unable to cook roasts etc. it's unfortunate and kind of defeats the purpose.

I made a recording and this time I was able to capture what actually happens.

Pay close attention to the burner on the right

https://youtu.be/-Wpnp4xBTUA
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Can you do that again but open the lid a lot slower. I wondering if the quick lift isn't causing it to blow out.