Newcastle's Best BBQ Cook

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Mark2011

Newcastle's Best BBQ Cook

Post by Mark2011 »

Hi Guys
Just a suggestion which i am looking at putting to my boss for you enthusiasts
Would anyone be interested in coming in for 3-4 hours showing there skills on a Weber Spirit E-320 BBQ
Thinking we could have a competition between 6-8 enthusiasts, you would be judged on your cooking skills and the winning score after 6-8 weeks would win a prize (undetermined yet, need to talk to boss and convince :D )

Thoughts?

This competition would take place outside Glendale Warehouse
327 Lake Rd Glendale
Hogsy

Re: Newcastle's Best BBQ Cook

Post by Hogsy »

I'd be keen if it was on a kettle or a WSM......might need to camp out in your shop though :D
I have never cooked on an E-320 , a Q might attract more contestants due to their popularity
Mind you if the prize was a E-320 it'd give it a crack
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Buzabbq

Post by Buzabbq »

Mark2011 good on you for trying to get things happening here in Newcastle.
I am not sure how are comp like you described would work ?
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

buzzawak wrote:Mark2011 good on you for trying to get things happening here in Newcastle.
Oh trust me, I'm not sure how it would work.
I did consider a kettle/wsm cookoff type event but due to limited space outside the shop it wasn't really possible, not to mention total fire bans make things more difficult.

personally I prefer the Spirit range of bbq over the weber q's and I still have to run this past the boss to get the okay on anything.
I am open to suggestions, or ideas.
Buzabbq

Post by Buzabbq »

Mark2011 wrote:
buzzawak wrote:Mark2011 good on you for trying to get things happening here in Newcastle.
Oh trust me, I'm not sure how it would work.
I did consider a kettle/wsm cookoff type event but due to limited space outside the shop it wasn't really possible, not to mention total fire bans make things more difficult.

personally I prefer the Spirit range of bbq over the weber q's and I still have to run this past the boss to get the okay on anything.
I am open to suggestions, or ideas.
So Mark2011 what are you hoping to achieve out of this ?
skippy

Post by skippy »

I volunteer as a judge if this gets off the ground.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

One of the issues I can see with what you're trying to do Mark is the space you have to work in, would be council land therefore needing council permission to hold such events. the amount of vehicle traffic (seagulls) that might want to stop to see what's going on if you've got a heap of people standing around A BBQ or more....might have to get some kind of permit due to food being involved ....I'm not sure if it'd come under the same category as if you were say doing a Weber demonstration or not.
I'm not sure I'm up for it actually with my weekend workload and the fact I'm so out of practice lately...I just don't have the time like I used to. The amount of times my BBQs have been used in the last 6 Months I can count on 1 hand, I've got to be honest about that.
Previous 3 posts on this thread have been removed Mark...sorry about the hijack.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

Davo wrote:One of the issues I can see with what you're trying to do Mark is the space you have to work in, would be council land therefore needing council permission to hold such events. the amount of vehicle traffic (seagulls) that might want to stop to see what's going on if you've got a heap of people standing around A BBQ or more....might have to get some kind of permit due to food being involved ....I'm not sure if it'd come under the same category as if you were say doing a Weber demonstration or not.
I'm not sure I'm up for it actually with my weekend workload and the fact I'm so out of practice lately...I just don't have the time like I used to. The amount of times my BBQs have been used in the last 6 Months I can count on 1 hand, I've got to be honest about that.
Previous 3 posts on this thread have been removed Mark...sorry about the hijack.

Cheers

Davo
Hi Davo
its been awhile then, you should dust off your weber and use it every night.
My inital thoughts were to do it over 1 weekend, get a few people to judge then i thought we have very limited space so thought we make it one a week, same people judging the food, give a total score based on a criteria, in the end, scores tallied for a prize.

Undecided on prize, but i have to talk to people about that. :lol:
I visited a trophy shop last week, funny enough of all the things out there, none had a bbq ontop of them

I tried speaking to the council this morning and basically was told as long as there is no total firebans in place, a single demonstration outside the shop wouldn't worry them.

So is there anybody interested or keen?
Buzabbq

Post by Buzabbq »

I would find it hard cooking on an unfamiliar setup and with the time frame you would be restricted to open grill menu.