weber q low temps

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
bennos

weber q low temps

Post by bennos »

does anyone have any tips on getting a weber q to a low temp of around 120c to 150c? im current using a crushed up ball of foil to prop the lid up with varying success.
YankQ

Re: weber q low temps

Post by YankQ »

Which Q? The two burner (300, 320, 3200), just use the middle burner on low. On the smaller ones, try a water pan.
Jeff
Medium BGE, Large BGE, 22.5" Weber Kettle and brand new Q3200
bennos

Post by bennos »

not sure of the model. it is referred to as the baby Q.

a water pan? would that not heat up and come up temp?
YankQ

Post by YankQ »

Pretty sure "Baby Q" is the 100, 120, 1200 size. Water pan won't get above boiling point, as long as water is in the pan. The evaporative process cools the entire cooking chamber, too.

What are you planning to cook?
Jeff
bennos

Post by bennos »

been thinking on using my weber 'baby' q for slow and low, i find it holds a constant temp much much better then my oven. needing ideas to lower the temp and hopefully getting a reliable and accurate leave-in thermometer.
YankQ

Post by YankQ »

This may not be a popular opinion, but in your position I would get an instant read thermometer and worry less about the probe/monitor style thermometer. I have one and seldom use it anymore.

First thing I want to point out is that the Q shell design is for roasting rather than low and slow. That said, I just did a rack of pork ribs on my 3200 (Family Q??) and held temperature around 250F - 270F (120-135C) for 5 hours. The two burner design does make this easier than on the smaller Qs, but I think you can do it.

I would start with a pork shoulder. They are very forgiving. Find a pan and grid where the grid fits on top of the pan and the pan is deep enough to hold enough water that it can go for an hour or so without needing to be filled. Put it smack in the middle of the Q, gas turned down as low as it will go. Even if it runs up to about 160ish, it will still cook perfectly (that's where I usually run mine whether I'm cooking with charcoal or gas).

An A-Maze-N smoking tube is a good way to add smoke to a Q, as you don't have to have the pellets close to a heat source, like you do with a foil packet. My ribs were the maiden voyage of my smoking tube, and I considered it a great success. The ribs were at least as good as I can do on either a Weber Kettle or my Big Green Egg.

Now that we have talked about what "can" be done, let me point out that the Q design is best at doing things a little differently than most other outside cooking devices. With a Q roasting trivet and roasting shield (or a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil) the Q produces an amazingly delicious surface on most any roast meat. The shape of the enclosure and the position of the burner surrounding the meat creates a convection current that crisps up the skin of a chook or crackles the surface of a pork roast better than anything I've ever cooked on (and I either currently have or have had a LOT of different cookers).

I would give your low and slow a go, but follow that up with a high temp roast of something, doing it the way the Q designers intended. I'm confident you can create something unique that will delight you and your guests.

No, I don't work for the Q division of Weber...I am just thrilled with this grill that I bought about 10 months ago.
Jeff
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

You have inspired me to look at the Q in a new light.

I'm a huge fan of the charcoal kettle, but we can't use them during fire bans (which occur quite often in summer). So I initially bought the Q200 to be able to have a decent BBQ/grill for steaks during fire bans, and apart from a pork belly, I've only ever used it for surface grilling of small cuts (steaks, chops, bacon etc).

Might just have to add a shoulder to the shopping list this weekend and try out your tips with the pan.

Oh - I agree with the instant read sentiment. I haven't used a leave-in probe for over 12 months now. And the Thermapen I have is great for checking all manner of foods and ensuring the perfect temperature - from oven baked items, right through to microwave reheated items - even soup. No more complaints about too hot or too cold.
And as a side note - it's good for adjusting the beer fridge to the perfect temperature - just dip it into a freshly opened one. They all come out 1/2 a degree above freezing now. And no more exploded soft-drink cans.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
bennos

Post by bennos »

I also use a probe thermometer quite often but it depends on the technique of cooking being employed.

For example, I do baby back ribs in the Weber Q, I use a foil wrap technique as part of the complete cooking process and with this recipe it comes out beautiful. I don't want to poke a probe into the foil. Would be a little hard to find a spot for probing with the bones and no real "thick" part of flesh. In this instance, a very accurate leave-in thermometer would be very beneficial for the best results.

Will have to experiment with the tray of water to bring down the ambient temp.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Mixin wrote:
I haven't used a leave-in probe for over 12 months now. And the Thermapen I have is great for checking all manner of foods and ensuring the perfect temperature - from oven baked items, right through .
The downside is having to open the lid every time and that loses a lot of heat. it's best to have both. :D
YankQ

Post by YankQ »

Recovery time on a Q is about 20 seconds. Same on my Egg and nearly the same on a Kettle. I don't buy into the admonition to leave the lid closed. I am pretty sure over the years I've gained more from checking my cooks than I have lost in having the lid open.
Jeff
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Fair enough and if you only open to have a quick look nothing is lost but my argument is that with a remote, you don't need to open the lid at all and I just prefer it that way.
YankQ

Post by YankQ »

I hear you, Gumb. I have a Maverick and I'v'e used it quite a bit...I just find the whole process annoying...wires and cables and transmitters and receivers and batteries...is the probe too close to a bone? is it too near the grate?...I ended up double checking it all the time with my ThermaPen anyway...so I just quit using it.

That is why the ice cream makers produce both Vanilla AND Chocolate! :lol:
Jeff
davida

Post by davida »

For example, I do baby back ribs in the Weber Q, I use a foil wrap technique as part of the complete cooking process and with this recipe it comes out beautiful.
Would you be happy to publish the recipe? Never had real success with these in the Q.

thanks
David
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

YankQ wrote: AND Chocolate! :lol:
hhhhhmmmmmmm.....choclate. :)
bennos

Post by bennos »

Sure, when I get some time I'll post it up.