weber q low temps

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Windsurf

Re: weber q low temps

Post by Windsurf »

I find you can get low temps (220F) on my 320 by turning the dial between high and off (much lower flame than 'low'). Just have to make sure it's not so low that it could blow out in the wind.
luke hawkins

Post by luke hawkins »

Windsurf wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:59 pm I find you can get low temps (220F) on my 320 by turning the dial between high and off (much lower flame than 'low'). Just have to make sure it's not so low that it could blow out in the wind.
This has been such good advice for my lower temp cooks! I can get consistent temperatures around 120 degrees by using this method and having a small water bath in the weber q, and I'm using a baby q!!

The only other bit of kit that I think is essential is a pellet smoking barrel if you want to have any chance of a smoke flavour on your meat. I also can't underestimate how useful the iGrill 2 has been.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Warning......

I wouldn't be trying to manipulate a gas powered grill.....for that's what they primarily are...A GRILL.... they are designed to operate at a moderate roasting to grilling temps not low n slow.
If you want low n slow buy a Weber kettle or a dedicated smoker and use coals whether it's briquettes or lump charcoal or you can buy proper gas smokers but don't try and manipulate the flame as if it does go out and you don't notice, there's still gas coming out and all you need is someone to light up a ciggie and KABOOM...end of BBQing life.

The Weber Q is not designed to be low n slow but you can safely have it down to about 280 on low and some cold water in a tray to act as a heat sink.

You can still get great results at around 275-320F, smoked and Barbequed, in fact, whilst the Americans might smoke at 225F, the actual low n slow BBQ sits around 250-320F, after that until about 380F your roasting and after that you're grilling.

Gas BBQs need a certain pressure to continue burning, you don't need much a whiff of wind to blow out the flame but the gas still escapes and lingers.....please don't be foolish!!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5