Negativity towards gas

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
urbangriller

Re:

Post by urbangriller »

beaver wrote:yea sorry, didn't mean to say hark, meant to say normal gas cooker. Also no need to get abusive, honest mistake and there is no history of me bashing hark products so lay off
What Gas cooker uses a bottle of gas in one cook? are you talking a BBQ? a Cabinet Smoker? What exactly are you talking about???
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
urbangriller

Re:

Post by urbangriller »

beaver wrote:yea sorry, didn't mean to say hark, meant to say normal gas cooker. Also no need to get abusive, honest mistake and there is no history of me bashing hark products so lay off
Umm....GMG is a Hark product!
aussieant32

Re: Negativity towards gas

Post by aussieant32 »

Is money a factor? I ask as in a different hobby I have to this if you don't have the highest end worth thousands its not worth having to alot of people. Telling a new comer they need to spend over a grand to learn the ropes? Not seen a massive deal of that in bbq though..
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

aussieant32 wrote:Is money a factor? I ask as in a different hobby I have to this if you don't have the highest end worth thousands its not worth having to alot of people. Telling a new comer they need to spend over a grand to learn the ropes? Not seen a massive deal of that in bbq though..
Which is why most people are advised to buy a secondhand kettle for $50. doesn't get cheaper than that!
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

yes thats right. Don't want to open a can of worms, just had me thinking is all
beaver

Negativity towards gas

Post by beaver »

urbangriller wrote:
Umm....GMG is a Hark product!
Either quote me where I have badmothed a gmg or just give it up Chris..... talk about grudges.....Jesus. ...
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

beachbums wrote:Interesting discussion......

As much as we love our Hark Gas Smoker ( and have a Lamb Shoulder in atm) I think Beaver's sort of right about the smoke ring. Here are a couple of pics from our Playing with our Hark thread. We do get a smoke ring but not as much as when we use one of the other solid fuel BBQ's.
That said, I can't imagine that we will ever not have our wonderful ( for us) Gas Smoker.

BTW, I thought I read somewhere that the smoke ring was to be ignored in Competition judging as it can be artificially induced somehow?

Cheers, Wayne and Jan
Gas smokers are not expensive to run at all! But they do behave differently, they smoulder the woodchip or pellets to make smoke and this has a different chemical composition to actually burning wood, the Nitric Oxide (NO) which is instrumental in developing a smoke ring is not as prevalent in smoke as it is in the vapour from wood that is on fire. Wood that is on fire is hotter than wood that is smouldering, also the flame is burning off the volatiles given off and that changes the chemistry.

Cheers
Chris
gnol

Post by gnol »

Dunno man. The Baby Q gives roasts a lovely bbq smokey flavour.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

I think good quality gas BBQs are great, but I wouldn't expect to smoke with a gas grill. Having used a gas smoker for a while I thought the results were very good, but I would never feel comfortable leaving it on overnight.
In my view charcoal and wood both impart a particular flavour to food that I like, not just when roasting or smoking, but also when charcoal grilling (I haven't grilled on wood yet). Gas with hoods and flavouriser bars do a very good job though. Horses for courses...
Macca33

Post by Macca33 »

I would love to have an awesome, expensive smoker but having only just really started getting into bbq and having three young kids I thought the best option would be to start with a much cheaper and less time consuming (maybe) gas smoker and then hopefully one day I can get a "proper smoker".
Hark Gas Smoker, Weber Kettle, Mini Spit, Cheap Gasser
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

once you have gas going you only need to check the flame every now and then to make sure it hasn't gone out. Mine is solid as a rock on temperatures. When I do overnight cooks I check it every few hours, but I would with a coal anyway as my brain is a bit, strange?

I guess with all these responses there still seems to be that there is no reason for the negativity from some people, its just the thing to rag on in bbq. As i said a few times, all hobbies have something that is shamed for no reason, appears this is bbq's.

There is really only one source I have seen it often on so maybe its a bit isolated or all the 'elitists' go there
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

now onto why people diss the gas grill, most of the dissing is as claimed.........poor quality equipment sold by poor quality retailers.

i have been watching with awe....the growing hark gas community........and have been gob smacked by the quality of the tucker that thing produces.
for a gas FUEL smoker, i think it is the chef knowing what and when to use the spice woods.

as for gas grills, i have and use a weber Q, yes a gasser ..............but a bloody great quality gasser. there lies the crux of the conundrum.

it is the quality of, and the lack of informed advice given to the punters that get the negs rolling in.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

pretty much sums up what me thoughts were mate, thank you.

I am sure you get a more 'bbq' flavour on a coal etc cooker, but I tell you one thing. The food coming out of this cabinet is a damn sight better than alot of things I have eaten of a mates charcoal grill :P

It is how it is in my other hobby, salt water fish keeping. If you want to keep a 'nemo' you need a $700 water pump, a $3000 light, and $6000 tank and about $10k on accessories, if you dont have the top of the range, what is the point? I know so many people that have dumped all they have into a tank and everything dies and the sell off everything for 1/3 of the price.. Why is that? They didn't start with the basics, they got top of the range and expected top of the range results with little to no effort. I could set up right now a salt water tank for a pair of 'nemos' for under $300. But it would be shunned by the community, really for no other reason than just because..

I do agree that the wrong information can really negatively impact a persons decision to pursue the hobby or not. Not only that but also people see the wrong information and then pass it on to someone else etc etc causing a negative spiral to begin. I mean this forum recommended the smoker I have, if someone said it would cost me $30 in gas every time I wanted some ribs I wouldn't have bothered and wouldn't be enjoying this brisket I am eating as I type..
Macca33

Post by Macca33 »

And I make my beer with kits and hops, not all grain.

I am a total outcast :P
Hark Gas Smoker, Weber Kettle, Mini Spit, Cheap Gasser
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

don't even talk to me

ahahaha :lol: :lol: