Negativity towards gas

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
WarmBeer

Re: Negativity towards gas

Post by WarmBeer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:13 pm

urbangriller wrote: Which is why most people are advised to buy a secondhand kettle for $50. doesn't get cheaper than that!
Ahhhh, gaddammit, I paid a whole $100 second-hand for mine. I've probably only used it 25 or 30 times since I got it, too.

Soooo, consumed with buyer's remorse. Recon I could get a refund if I called the guy back?

:lol:

Edit: PS, I love my Weber OTS, as well as my Hark/Aldi Gas smoker. I get about 70 - 80 hours out of a full gas bottle, including multiple overnight low'n'slows (yes, it's outside, yes, it's in a well-ventilated spot out of the prevailing winds)
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:00 pm

WarmBeer wrote:
urbangriller wrote: Which is why most people are advised to buy a secondhand kettle for $50. doesn't get cheaper than that!
Ahhhh, gaddammit, I paid a whole $100 second-hand for mine. I've probably only used it 25 or 30 times since I got it, too.

Soooo, consumed with buyer's remorse. Recon I could get a refund if I called the guy back?

:lol:

Edit: PS, I love my Weber OTS, as well as my Hark/Aldi Gas smoker. I get about 70 - 80 hours out of a full gas bottle, including multiple overnight low'n'slows (yes, it's outside, yes, it's in a well-ventilated spot out of the prevailing winds)
What I say to students at BBQ school is:
Get a secondhand kettle, after a year, if you are still using it, get a nice new kettle and sell the secondhand one for what you paid for it!

75hrs (ish) for your Gas smoker is dead right! At $22ish for a refill, that's 30 cents an hour! $1.80 to cook 321 ribs or $5.40 for an 18hour Brisket cook, it don't get more economical than that! :D

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:24 pm

aussieant32 wrote:G'day folks.

Just curious. Not so much here but on other 'platforms' there is alot of negativity towards gas smoking/bbqing. Why is that? I know every 'hobby' has to have something for people to differentiate themselves to others is that was gas is in bbqing? In another hobby I have a particular brand is 'frowned upon' for no real reason other than just because. Maybe gas is the same?

Thankfully it doesn't really apply here but just something I noticed in my travels.

Any ideas?
You are correct on your surmise :)
If anyone tells you that gas is somehow inferior, Take them with a grain of salt as they know not what they talk about.
But rather live in some elitist world. The fact that even brands were mentioned cements that.
I'm my world, Gas is a perfectly acceptable way to bbq and in its own right, Has unique abilitys that nothing else can match.
I hate it when I see elitism . Why the hell some would want to smash someone's hobby at the start astounds me.
This forum started on gas and I know for a fact that your surmise actually runs deep.
I know where it started too
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au

gnol

Post by gnol » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Hey. I reckon I got a smoke ring on the baby q earlier tonight.
Flash cook. Only took about an hour and a half.

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:32 pm

Yep that's Smoke Ring!

What's in the Rub? Something is making it ring up like that!

Chris

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:47 pm

urbangriller wrote:Yep that's Smoke Ring!

Chris
Dripping flavour atomic bursts :D I'm kind of serious :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.

gnol

Post by gnol » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:08 pm

Chris
Ah. didn't even think it may have been the rub Chris. A Pre prepared gyros seasoning.

Bentley

Post by Bentley » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:08 am

I am always gonna be negative towards gas...can't a person just hold it in and go outside? Sorry I have tried to resist but it just got the better of me!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:45 am

Bentley wrote:I am always gonna be negative towards gas...can't a person just hold it in and go outside? Sorry I have tried to resist but it just got the better of me!
i blame the dog

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 pm

gnol wrote:

Chris
Ah. didn't even think it may have been the rub Chris. A Pre prepared gyros seasoning.
Take a pic of the back of the pack.

Chris

Card Shark

Post by Card Shark » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:03 pm

At council cleanups here on the Gold Coast strip, lots of BBQs on the curb and almost exclusively gas. So from a longevity, quality and resale value I concur with that point beaver and others make.

I have a US weber gas 330. Use it every other week and am happy other than having to drill out the "stainless" gas ring that rusts yearly.

See some comps don't allow gas. What's the history of gas... British? Not wood not authentic? Perhaps that's another perceived neg.

To me gets back to individual circumstances. Where you live and how you cook. CS

beaver

Post by beaver » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:07 pm

[quote="Card Shark" What's the history of gas... British? [/quote]
maybe but its funny......a lot of english mates come to AUS and comment on why we have gas bbq's they all run on charcoal over there

chrisg

Post by chrisg » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:23 pm

beaver wrote:[quote="Card Shark" What's the history of gas... British?
maybe but its funny......a lot of english mates come to AUS and comment on why we have gas bbq's they all run on charcoal over there[/quote]

:)

Really ?

I'd have to check, being I left... um 40 years ago, but been back a number of times, probably depends upon where from in the UK, something like 60 million people in a country that would drown in Spencer Gulf tends to skew comparison statistics even before you get to anecdotal :)

I guess my sig sums up my attitude, horses for courses :)

Cheers

Edit : A lot of Net oddness going on but can't see my sig, just says the simple mantra, the kettle is king the Q is quick ( I really should patent that and sell it to Weber- for $1 :) )

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Probably a question of "Who went with gas".
The U.S. did, Australia did, and so did the UK.
And so do tha vast majority of pro kitchens.

My point is, I can cook on gas just as good as I can on lump or anything else.
If I blind tested you, Id have you believe that food off my weber summit came off an offset , or pellet grill,, you name it.

Saying that, Of course I like All bbq,s and getting back to char, But Id be a fool to dismiss a good bbq chef who knows their way around a good gas bbq.
I'm being as up front as possible for a reason. You cannot take ones joy away from them in our hobby just because they only have gas. better to be positive and help them MASTER their gas bbq rather than beat them down.
I agree with other comments about their preferred ways and it's all fun till the other kids don't want to play with you anymore in the sand pit.

Mixin

Post by Mixin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:21 pm

I cooked for near on 20 years exclusively on gas. For a large part of that, it was on one of the old decent, well made BBQs from the 80s - given to me by a mate when we bought our first house. When when I outgrew that, I inherited a larger one from the inlaws - again, a well made 80s one, that just needed new burners.
I only used the plate for onions, mushrooms, and haloumi cheese. Everything else went on the grille with the rocks under it.
They were well seasoned, and gave off plenty of flavour as they allowed controlled burning of the drippings.
At any family gathering, I was always put in charge of the BBQ, by popular vote. I guess that meant I could cook pretty well on it.

My grandmother, who I was very close to growing up, was always saying things like "it's never as good as charcoal" or "you can't get the charcoal flavour any other way." She passed over a decade ago, and about 6 years ago when reminiscing on her birthday, I finally gave into the niggling thoughts and decided to give this old charcoal idea a go... At first, it was a disappointment with a Weber GA. I had no idea how to light charcoal. As a youngster all I ever witnessed was a pile of kindling being burnt down to coals, then charcoal being placed on the hot coals. I couldn't even get the kindling going well enough to do that - it was just a smouldering mess in the GA. It even crossed my mind to drill holes in the bottom of the GA.... so I shelved it, and forgot about it for a while. Then I got an old red kettle (with rusty blades) and gave it another shot. A bit of help from Google, and some US websites, and I discovered a charcoal chimney. I made my own from a baby formula can, and the Weber-itis grew from there.....

Now, I love the kettle(s) <-- yes, that's multiple. No way can you do a chicken as good on gas, compared to a roti on the kettle. I also run my Aldi (Hark style) smoker on charcoal. The old 4 burner gas BBQ hasn't been used for nearly 5 years now - only the wok burner gets a workout, lighting the chimney.

I also have a gas converted kettle (great for fire ban days - can do a pretty good roti chook or rolled pork leg - but not as good as charcoal).
The Weber Q is also brilliant for a quick & easy weeknight cook. Sure, it's not perfect, but with the right seasoning, a steak still turns out great - and that's where half the debate could lie - a well seasoned steak on a gas grill tastes pretty damn good. Charcoal on the other hand, is very forgiving - the flavour of the drippings vapourising on the charcoal can make a poorly seasoned steak taste great.

Gas still has it's place, and when an old 4-burner is all that's on offer at whatever friend/rello's place we're at, I can still cook up a pretty tasty meal after being "volunteered" to man the BBQ. Sure, it's not quite as good as true charcoal, but it's certainly a level above what most accept as "bbq" - and it's a helluva lot better than a sizzle plate.

And that's where I think gas has the bad rep - from countless "sausage sizzle" style *bbqs* that are simply a steel plate with gas burners underneath.
No exposure to direct flame, no way to impart any "vapourised" flavour, and doubtful contents in the cheap bangers....
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?