BBQs that rust quickly

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Card Shark

BBQs that rust quickly

Post by Card Shark »

In this part of the world at council pickup time, kids bikes and newish gas bbqs are the most common thing seen on the curb. A mate bought this gasser 10 months ago from one of the big two hardware guys. Today this is the story. Stored under cover but within 200m of a surf beach. Interestingly the ends of this units powder coated steel had no signs of rust! Anybody had a similar experience?

Jars

Re: BBQs that rust quickly

Post by Jars »

Wow, thats crazy! I'd be taking it back and telling them to stick it!
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Nath

BBQs that rust quickly

Post by Nath »

Cheap, cheap low quality stainless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Bricks

Post by Bricks »

Probably the only thing nowadays which has a name indicating exactly what it does.
Stainless is stain - less not stain - proof.

Living near the beach, I rekon hosing it off with fresh water every couple of weeks would help reduce the effect.
The other thing which helps stainless to rust is heat and salt, so it makes perfect sense that a BBQ near the ocean would rust pretty quick.
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

I grew up right on the beach 70's & 80's and people would never believe how our stuff deteriorated.
Tiles delaminated, Stainless Guttering Rusted, Aluminium Railings didn't last, Bricks wore away not too mention my old Land Cruiser poor thing. There are many grades of Stainless Steel all of which are now made overseas and none here, if you are near the beach either expect it to be throw away or buy good quality like BeefEater or similar and if you want something that will really last it has to be 316 Grade SS. The top of the range Beefeaters with all SS internals are this and you can find second hand ones occasionally on eBay or Gumtree, cheers
Coop
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G'day
There's a S/S plate on the headland in Forester NSW put there by one of the local clubs. Been there for 30 40 yrs directly on the sea. No rust.
The S/S dog bowl that's a different story. Leave some tap water in it for 3 or 4 days and it will start to rust. Empty it dayly and wipe it out with a dry cloth and refill no problems. The action of wiping the cheaper S/S liberates more Crome on the surface preventing rust. There are diffinitley different grades of S/S and a k-mart dog bowl certainly isn't the highest.
Regards dave
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

My stove rusted inside my house and my fridges.
Most SS lasts a few years max
You can hit it with a scourer and then give it some anti rust spray every now and again.
But plastic and rubber goes pretty quick too.
chilling while grilling