Running a Weber Q off a small Propane bottle

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Emo

Post by Emo »

I just bought an adaptor to run my Q200 off a small Bernzomatic brand propane bottle when I take it camping next week and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this
http://www.bromicplumbing.com.au/adapto ... buddy.html
I have about 4 bottles of the Bernzomatic gas that I wont really use and I don't want to take 2 9kg gas bottles away ( 1 for the Camp stove and 1 for the Weber).
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Smokey Mountain-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
Bill44

Re: Running a Weber Q off a small Propane bottle

Post by Bill44 »

Changed original post.
Initially I was wondering why anyone would use those small cylinders, especially having to buy an adaptor for them, when there are many small refillable bottles available. I then realised that the 4 small cans you have are surplus to your requirements anyway, and you are just using them up.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
Emo

Post by Emo »

Bill44 wrote:Changed original post.
Initially I was wondering why anyone would use those small cylinders, especially having to buy an adaptor for them, when there are many small refillable bottles available. I then realised that the 4 small cans you have are surplus to your requirements anyway, and you are just using them up.
Yep Bill, I have a 9KG bottle and a 4KG bottle at home, the 4KG is full so I will run the stove off that but I didn't want to pack the 9kg bottle if I could avoid it.
The other option I had was to get an adaptor for the 9kg that has 2 outlets which would allow me to run both but I would also need to purchase another adaptor to put on that because the weber and the stove have different size connectors. (total cost would be about $40 for that options) so I decided on the bernzomatic adaptor because if I ever want to take the Q away I wont need to pack a 4/9kg bottle.
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
Emo

Post by Emo »

Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

MAP gas? That's not LPG.
Hope you know what you are doing mate. I use that to braze copper because it's HOT
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Emo

Post by Emo »

Hey smokey, the BBQ seems to run ok n this gas from a short test I did, it doesnt seem overly hot. However you have raised some concern with me so Ive email Bromic to see their take on it.
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
Emo

Post by Emo »

Well the manufacturer of the gas has replied saying MAP gas is not suitable for BBQ's so that's the end of that.
From what I could find on the net 'Map Plus' is Propylene gas not Propane. Dunno what the dangers are but I'll steer clear.
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

All good, I wasn't sure myself. Just knew it burns much hotter and also gives off a sickly smell.
What about a Primus cylinder?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Emo

Post by Emo »

This morning I swapped the grill Buddy over for a 1 to 2 outlet bottle adaptor so I can run both the stove and the Q off the same 4kg BBQ bottle.
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
Harlz

Post by Harlz »

I used the grill buddy bromic adapter with a green Coleman disposable canister and the q120. Worked great for a 2 night camping trip.
ScottL

Post by ScottL »

I used a 1 to 2 outlet on a 4 kg bottle for both baby q and 2 burner for the week camping. Worked a treat.
DARTHSMOKER

Re:

Post by DARTHSMOKER »

Harlz wrote:I used the grill buddy bromic adapter with a green Coleman disposable canister and the q120. Worked great for a 2 night camping trip.
I have pretty much used the same set-up (Bromic grill buddy adaptor, AC34) with similar style canister (Bernzomatic brand from Bromic) on a Q100e ... got 5 hours (2 small roasts & a snags/bacon breaky) & there would still be enough left for at least 1 more basic cook up.
I find your lack of smoke disturbing.

GMG Jim Bowie, Blue Weber OTG & Weber Spirit E320
benpop

Post by benpop »

Does anyone know where I can get the Bromic grill buddy these days? (I live in Sydney)
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Digga

Post by Digga »

Anyone know where I can buy a bromic grill buddy ac34? Or know of any similar adapter? I'm keen to run my Weber q on the disposable bottles just for the beach.