New Gasser Questions

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
LooseSox

New Gasser Questions

Post by LooseSox »

First up, apologies if this turns into a longer than expected post with many a question thrown in!

I've been toying with the idea of getting a new gas bbq to replace my modded beefmaster. Nothing really wrong with the 4 burner as it sits now, but recently I've found myself cooking for either just myself and my wife, or 30+, doesn't seem to be much midground so was looking for something a bit more suited to smaller volume cooking.

Room is also an issue, not so much when in use, but in storage. I use my shed as a workshop so a big 4 burner in there takes up a bit of use able space. Leaving it outside I'm not so keen on, especially as my crazy labradors think it's great to use a bbq cover as a tug of war toy.

This has led me to look at either the weber q or the z&b. Personally, I think they are both slightly over priced (especially the carts!) For what they are imho. Having said that, if I'm going to get more use out of it and it is more friendly to my needs, price can be forgiven.

What I'm trying to get is some advice on choosing between the two, without the usual review hype of 'I own X so Y must be crap'. From what I've seen instores, I prefer the burner arrangement of the z&b being that it can have 2 halves at different settings. I'm also a fan of the fabled weber service should anything go awry with one of their products. I'm leaning towards weber on that fact alone (as much as I hate that awful cream coloured lid).

This brings me to the next dilemma. If I go the weber route, what model? I think the 2200 would he plenty big enough (have 2 kettles as well should a massive crowd need feeding), but with only $90 difference to the family q I'm not to sure? I'm a fan of the high heat sear, what is the heat difference between the 2200 and the family like?

If I keep going this post may end up at thesis length so I'll leave it at there for now and mull over replies for what I've asked so far :D

Cheers
Tipsy

Re: New Gasser Questions

Post by Tipsy »

I recently bought the Z&B after going through your dilemma.

Read all the reviews and the only thing that really stuck out for me was the Z&B burned hotter. (There are other differences)

My decision was mainly because I wanted something for a quick mid week cook and it had to do a nice steak.
It will probably be too hot for a low and slow but I have other means for doing that.

I'm really happy with my decision.

I think whichever way you go you will be very happy.
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

LooseSox do a search on Weber Q300 or Family Q or Q320 and you will find many a thread where people have asked the same questions as you. I have the old Q200 and Q300 and the big one is far more versatile in heat range from steak searing to slow cooking, cheers
Coop
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Correct, there are many recent posts in here on that exact topic.
LooseSox

Post by LooseSox »

Alright, well I'm pretty sold on the Family Q now. The minister of finance has seen it too and is almost at the agreance stage too, just need to get her over the edge. First child on the way so I've been instructed to sell the 4 burner first... Will see how I go without doing that!
Waintly

Post by Waintly »

Lion Premium Grills L75623 32" Natural Gas Grill is latest natural gas grill brand known to me so far. It has premium solid stainless steel cooking grates. I bought this grill few months back and have been using it fairly regularly.. The grill works great and I am particulary fond of searing burner.