Legality/Certification of natural gas conversion

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
drgetafix

Legality/Certification of natural gas conversion

Post by drgetafix »

Just wanting to clarify/confirm the legal situation regarding conversion of LPG BBQs to natural gas, as i have read conflicting/confusing things. I was looking at the Turbo Elite 4 burner and noticed that it is AGA approved and is apparently approved for conversion to NG as well, and you can buy the conversion kit from BBQs Galore, but as i understand i will still need a licensed gas fitter to perform the conversion and they will then provide certification? Is that right?

[EDIT: Typos]
Last edited by drgetafix on Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Well you'd probably need a licensed gas fitter to run the gas line to it anyway.
Gumb

Re: Legality/Certification of natural gas conversion

Post by Gumb »

You definitely need to get advice from a licenced gas fitter.
drgetafix

Post by drgetafix »

Thanks.
The gas line will be installed as part of the reno's, but yes, i guess it makes sense to get them to convert the BBQ as well...better to be safe than sorry.
Stubby

Post by Stubby »

As a licenced gas fitter, I have to keep up to date with the latest regulations. At the last trade night I attended, we were advised that it is illegal to connect a portable appliance to fixed piping. Quite a few of us argued about this, as some motorhomes have a bayonet fitting on the outside so that a portable BBQ can be connected. We were told it is definitely illegal. Having the AGA Approval means it is certified to use safely as a portable device, that is, connected to it's own cylinder. If the BBQ is going to be installed as a permanent appliance, it may be legal to convert it to NG and connect to fixed piping. To the best of my knowledge, gas rules are nationwide and not State by State. It would be best to contact your local gas inspector.
Hope this clears the air somewhat.
Stubby.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Stubby wrote:As a licenced gas fitter, I have to keep up to date with the latest regulations. At the last trade night I attended, we were advised that it is illegal to connect a portable appliance to fixed piping.
Stubby.
??? I have a portable gas heater in my home connected to the bayonet, it's small (this is Perth) and has handles each side so you can carry it......so....it's portable.....I can move it and connect it to another bayonet!

I hate "One size fits all" thinking!

Maybe take the wheels off the Turbo Elite so it is no longer portable!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Stubby

Post by Stubby »

A very good point, Chris. I spent some time in Alice Springs and lots of houses had bayonet fittings for gas space heaters. Whether there were some accidents involving this to make changes, I'm not sure. I got my gas license in NT and the rules I'm quoting were in Qld. As I said in my post, check with the local gas Inspector for the latest regulations, as they change regularly. And every time they do, we have to fork out $$$$ for the up to date regulation book.
Stubby.