Big flat plate bbq

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
hjl

Big flat plate bbq

Post by hjl »

Hi
This is my first post so will probably seem silly. Only silly question is the one not asked. So here goes.
I am looking to buy a big flat plate gas bbq.
My local CRT can sell me a Red Centre 6 burner flat plate bbq for $258. Price is good. Anyone got one or know anything about these?
I am looking to cook for approx 40 people.
What is the go with the black paint on the flat plate? Do you grind it off before you use it? If I leave it on and some comes off I can just hear my wife oahhh I got black paint on my food I am not eating that.
Can one buy a flat plate bbq that has the cast iron plates at a reasonable price?
I would like a stainless bbq but at $1000+ they are out of my range. What would the chances be of getting one of them second hand?
Cheers
hjl
Tasmaniac65

Re: Big flat plate bbq

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Hi mate if you want a flat plate BBQ at a cheap price these are pretty good we just purchased 3 for our School to replace the older bigger models and they went good. The temp on plate is consistent the burners simple and stainless, but yes you need to heat a little and scrape off the ridiculous non-stick paint crap they apply. It comes off fairly easily but leave yourself some time to do it with a large flat scraper just take the sharp corners off first. You don't have to get every bit off just most of it.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/jumbuck-6-bu ... q_p3170617
I am not associated with these in any way just sharing my only experience in this area, cheers
Tas
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi Tas
Thanks for your reply.
I was looking at the Bunnings model as well. Thanks for the info re scraping off paint.
Looked at a 4 burner gas mate deluxe caterer here but it is $800. I know it is stainless but it can't be worth nearly 3 times the red centre model
Any other cheap flat plate bbqs I should be looking at?
Cheers
hjl
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

HIya, I don't know much about Flat Plate BBQ's but I remember Titch offering some great advice about feeding 50 people off one a while back.

Have a look over here........ http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... ate#p93845

Cheers, Wayne
hjl

Post by hjl »

Any more info on flat plate bbq's?
Cheers
hjl
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

You really only have two options,
1) Cheapy steel top
2) Quality Club grade SS or Plate steel

I know it Sounds snobbish but most people start their BBQ journey getting away from their old cheap flat top and delve into the world of true barbecue. There is really not much to say about a flat top other then they fry food and great for club sausage sizzles.
It's "Cue" no doubt as it's food done outside. Just can't find something to say about them other then how to prepare the food you fry on them.
I'd just get the Cheapy, and chemically remove the paint if paint stripper works or remove it via a grinder and sanding disk.
I'd look for one that gets real hot, then you can try tepenyaki style
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

hjl wrote:Hi

Can one buy a flat plate bbq that has the cast iron plates at a reasonable price?

Cheers
hjl
Hi, as Mick says above there aren't really many options in Flat Plate Land. I'm guessing you're looking at a Sausage Sizzle type of gig? If so, here's a thought................ seeing as you aren't averse to cast iron plates why not cruise your local Gumtree for an older Weber Genesis? There are a few older models that sell cheaply and are good for many more years of Qing. The family has picked up a couple for around the $150ish . We managed to find a Genesis Silver with sideburner and stainless cupboards underneath the trolley for $200. That'd leave you some coin to grab a couple of cast iron flat plates to use when you need them. A plus is that you'd have a pretty good quality BBQ that is a very versatile unit. PArts are easy to come by as well.

Here's a couple of links to give you something to look at....

Weber Genesis Silver C Plus BBQ $280 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pennant- ... 1044919320

Weber Genesis $145 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/caringba ... 1044793078

Weber spirit bbq $175 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camp-hil ... 1044595809

If these don't suit you maybe keep checking your local Gumtree for a Flat Plate jobby, never know you might turn up a S/S one for a good price.

Cheers, Wayne
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
I do have a charcoal weber kettle for when I have time to cook.
I think the weber genesis would be to small to cook for 40 people. Do they give the charcoal flavor from a gas bbq?
I am told the weber q are very close to the real charcoal taste.
Looking on gumtree sounds like a good idea. I could get lucky.
Cheers
hjl
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Beachys advise is good, And using a flat plate and a grill plate is a good start as half and half presents lots of cooking options.
However, you cannot place two flat plates on those gassers. If you require a full flat plate you need a dedicated unit that vents heat or built to handle the lack of upward heat flow.
You will find that flat tops are quit open below and often suffer from wind as a result of this necessary venting.
My fishing clubs little flat top is a shocker on windy days but with members standing around with a sheet steel wind break someone knocked up we get the bacon and eggs done :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Flat plate bbq's have their place.
They can be especially good for things like yiros.
Heating up precooked yiros meat and plenty of room for slapping on
the pitta breads.
They are also great for short order type cooks like a quick and easy bacon and egg style brekkie,
and no fuss hamburgers.
When you need a flat plate bbq , they can't be beat.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi
Bought a 6 burner flat plate bbq from bunnings today (its my birthday so I got away with it).
Will let you know how it goes.
Cheers
hjl
hjl

Post by hjl »

Put Jumbuck bbq together today. Took about a hour for myself and my son to put it together. Instructions were quite good. Pretty easy. Lot better than my last bbq bought from kmart years ago.
Seasoned it cleaned it as per instructions. Used it to cook 4 steaks for tea. Worked well.
Cheers
hjl
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

nice to hear you are happy with your selection mate.
Keep reading and it won't be long before you will be looking at other forms of BBQ's, it's all good, cheers
Tas
Percel

Post by Percel »

Meat and eat wrote:Flat plate bbq's have their place.
They can be especially good for things like yiros.
Heating up precooked yiros meat and plenty of room for slapping on
the pitta breads.
They are also great for short order type cooks like a quick and easy bacon and egg style brekkie,
and no fuss hamburgers.
When you need a flat plate bbq , they can't be beat.

Cheers

Meat and eat
Amen to that
hjl

Post by hjl »

Been using the Bunnings flat plate bbq for 3 years.
The ignitors still work.
You look at the big flat plate and think wow. But you lose about 100mm along the front because the burners don't burn there. This zone can still be used to keep cooked food warm which can be useful.
The second burner from the right seems to burn hotter for some reason.
Still good value for money.
Cheers
hjl