Need new BBQ, but Weber Quality doesn't excite!

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Stubby

Re: Need new BBQ, but Weber Quality doesn't excite!

Post by Stubby »

I have a Weber kettle which I've had for nearly 30 years and the only rust, (minor) is around some scratches where it fell out of my ute because I hadn't secured it properly. I also have a Rinnai 3 burner with wok burner which I've had for 15 years and again with no signs of rust and I live on the coast as well. I consider both to be good quality and good value. I can't say that I've ever had the urge to have a threesome with them!!!

Stubby.
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Busio90 wrote:
Smokey Mick wrote:All I can add is your going to have to pony up for what you want.
Call LifeStyle BBQ's in Sydney. They make the best but its in 304 ss.
You also say that you dont adore your BBQ and you "have a life",,,,,
Im often found cuddling one of my eight bbq's and BBQ is my life... sad as that is :lol: No regrets :wink:
i though about sleeping with my kamado when I got it.

Nath

Redhead Nath?
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

ROFL !! :) You expect the unrealistic, most every thing is subject to the universal solvent, water, add salt, accelerate.

Kamados are probably less so, but fragile, ceramics unless you go exotic just are.

I do not have a Kamado, but whilst living most of my life within close proximity of salt water, try Port Augusta, the Spencer Gulf is only behind the Dead Sea in salinity, I've never had corrosion problems with BBQs, cars or even aluminum window frames if you are sensible.

I just don't leave them out in the elements - take your choices - the designers are not going to cater to your minority without exorbitant cost.

Given my latest Weber Kettle is at around 18 years and the only reason it has ANY corrosion is chips but nothing to fret over and I expect my new Q to probably last as long with sensible maintenance all that I can conclude is that you want everything for nothing and don't mind paying for it.

Fine - get a butler with BBQ skills.

Everything wears out eventually, what you describe really just says neglect combined with a dependance upon a warranty that you intend to abuse, Weber are unbelievable with warranty as many posts here attest.

You've been asked questions, be VERY interested to see answers, then there is dialogue, otherwise I'd have to conclude troll :)

Cheers
Aaronpricey

Post by Aaronpricey »

Hi all
Sorry I didn't get back sooner had a lot on!

I do not have a BBQ in mind yet! I do want to have a better look at the beef eater system.
I have looked at the local BBQ's galore and the BBQ's there are cheap and nasty! Prolly about the same quality you would get at bunnings.
And yes I'm not a fan of cleaning, I'd rather play with my son or go surfing on weekends!

Captain, I'm looking to cook for 2-8 people maybe more on occasions, I'm looking for a BBQ that will cook steaks, snags, pork chops, lamp chops, kebabs, chicken & fish. I would use it once every 3 weeks in winter and once a week in summer!
I'm happy to pay for a fancy cooking system if the BBQ will last me! What I don't want is a fancy system that last me 5 years and it's rusted out on the street and the scrap metal guys won't even touch it!

What I'm hoping for is for some people on here that live by the coast or salt air may be able to advise on what BBQ they have and if it's lasting them!

Percel, not here to troll mate, just wanting to put out there my thoughts and see if anyone living in coastal areas have done! I tell it like it is sorry if it offended! I haven't had a chance to look any further into other expensive BBQ's, but when I do I will let you know.

At the moment, I'm looking at getting a custom frame/base made up out of 316 stainless and having mounts on there to suit a BBQ.
Possibly buying something cheap and then building a grill out of 316SS rod and burner covers out of 316SS sheet metal.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Aaronpricey wrote:Hi all
Sorry I didn't get back sooner had a lot on!

I do not have a BBQ in mind yet! I do want to have a better look at the beef eater system.
I have looked at the local BBQ's galore and the BBQ's there are cheap and nasty! Prolly about the same quality you would get at bunnings.
And yes I'm not a fan of cleaning, I'd rather play with my son or go surfing on weekends!

Captain, I'm looking to cook for 2-8 people maybe more on occasions, I'm looking for a BBQ that will cook steaks, snags, pork chops, lamp chops, kebabs, chicken & fish. I would use it once every 3 weeks in winter and once a week in summer!
I'm happy to pay for a fancy cooking system if the BBQ will last me! What I don't want is a fancy system that last me 5 years and it's rusted out on the street and the scrap metal guys won't even touch it!

What I'm hoping for is for some people on here that live by the coast or salt air may be able to advise on what BBQ they have and if it's lasting them!

Percel, not here to troll mate, just wanting to put out there my thoughts and see if anyone living in coastal areas have done! I tell it like it is sorry if it offended! I haven't had a chance to look any further into other expensive BBQ's, but when I do I will let you know.

At the moment, I'm looking at getting a custom frame/base made up out of 316 stainless and having mounts on there to suit a BBQ.
Possibly buying something cheap and then building a grill out of 316SS rod and burner covers out of 316SS sheet metal.
You need to look at Marine BBQs Australia.
http://www.marinebarbecues.com.au

They have a good range and will be well suited. I have no financial interest in the company but the owner is a old RAAF mate of mine.

Cheers

Captain
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Hi Aaron, We also live a street from the beach and have 2 Kettles and 2 Q's both are easy to keep clean and unless you chip the Kettles enamel, no rust.

From what you have said that you'd like to cook and and how often I'd say the Weber Family Q should fit the bill. A bit different to the standard shape and size of the S/S range of BBQ's but if you can get over that they work pretty well next to the coast. Aluminium body and plastic trolley/stand so very little corrosion. They don't come with S/S grills although if it's really a necessity and you're capable I suppose you could make one up?
Re their durability, when out travelling just about every second caravan or camper has one of the smaller models sitting outside their door.

Another option could be to build in a Weber Kettle? They work well near the coast and should do the type of cooking you're after. We have a couple and as you're keen on gas maybe one with a gas conversion would work for you. I don't have any experience with them but someone else will chime in I'm sure. There have been some very nice benches made by the guys on here with these built in on here so maybe a search will help. You could maybe look at 2 of them side by side one on gas and one on heatbeads. Woukld look quite nice and give you the best of biothe worlds for a reasonable cost.

hth

Cheers, Wayne
Percel

Post by Percel »

Aaronpricey wrote:Percel, not here to troll mate, just wanting to put out there my thoughts and see if anyone living in coastal areas have done! I tell it like it is sorry if it offended! I haven't had a chance to look any further into other expensive BBQ's, but when I do I will let you know.

No sweat, apologies for the response. My cousin has 2 Qs down at Tuross for a few years ago, beachfront property, theyre going well.

Good luck in the search for BBQ.
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

I live right next to the coast and have a Weber Performer and two kettles, one of which is twenty years old already as I picked up off a neighbour's verge a few years ago. I BBQ a fair bit more often than you plan on doing and couldn't be happier with their longevity, performance or how easy they are to either start or keep clean (they only ever see a wire brush over the grill). For a quick family cook, I just use the Performer. For a big party then the other kettles see some action. Press one into service for a 12hr low and slow pork shoulder while the others do some grilling / roasting etc etc - the options are endless. You can use a rotisserie on them, use woks in them etc etc

There you go - I just saved you thousands of dollars that you can now spend on quality seafood and other delicacies...

Learn how to use it and IMO the humble kettle will beat the food off any gasser. Or pay thousands of dollars for a big stainless thing that won't last as long, will be a pain to keep clean and shiny, suck gas like there is no tomorrow and turn out food that isn't any better... it's up to you! :D

Or you could just be boring and get a Weber Q like everyone else. Not much to corrode there... I've seen an awful lot of those pressed into service on the back of boats as well as caravans.

Or if you really want to step up, get a kamado... if you don't mind the budget and want a BBQ to hand on to your grandkids one day, then nothing beats a komodo kamado!
lizard

Post by lizard »

We have a Q200 220 ?? on the house boat that's on salt water its now 4-5 ? years old and still cooks steaks, snags, pork chops, lamp chops, kebabs, chicken & fish. :mrgreen:
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

I like the way you think Fireplay....
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Hogsy wrote:I like the way you think Fireplay....

Me too :mrgreen:

Still need me gas even though ive not used gas in three months,,,,,,,,, Hey :shock:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Weber Q's don't rust...and have a 5 yr warranty..

The grill grates whilst cast iron, won't rust if you keep it well oiled and seasoned.....(is this asking too much?)

The Burner is SS

The Weber Q320 is the best :D

Only $699

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
talisker63

Post by talisker63 »

Davo,

I would say that Weber Q's are a great option for near beach use as they are mostly Aluminium but they do rust.

I am 500m from the beach and the Q is still in warranty. I know that Weber has GREAT customer service and I expect that they will replace my grills but cast iron will rust.

The benefit is that it will still cook fantastic BBQ and the maintenance is way less than other BBQ that I have owned.

Other that the full marine grade BBQ I would go with the Weber Q for a gasser or a Kamado for charcoal as,the ceramic sure wont rust!

Cheers
Nath

Post by Nath »

talisker63 wrote:Davo,

I would say that Weber Q's are a great option for near beach use as they are mostly Aluminium but they do rust.

I am 500m from the beach and the Q is still in warranty. I know that Weber has GREAT customer service and I expect that they will replace my grills but cast iron will rust.

The benefit is that it will still cook fantastic BBQ and the maintenance is way less than other BBQ that I have owned.

Other that the full marine grade BBQ I would go with the Weber Q for a gasser or a Kamado for charcoal as,the ceramic sure wont rust!

Cheers
Talisker, Slightly off topic, just wondering how you normally clean you grills? With water when hot/no water - after cooks - before cooks (after heat up)

Nath
Nath
SilvRFoxX

Post by SilvRFoxX »

Wow, never read an intro like that, seemes more effort went into determining what was wrong with a Weber than options to meet you need, most incorrect. However given the profile you would be better off getting a bunnings special and let it disintegrate over a 5 year period and then go get another one.

The 330 is a great piece of kit an takes 2 minutes to clean with cold water. It also can be taken apart by hand to clean internally once every 6 months. And that is if you are a 3 time a week cook doing roasts and rubs.

I back the suggestion you pick up a kettle and learn how to use it, low cost , easy maintenance and hogh qualiy output
Weapons : Weber Genesis E330, Weber OTG Premium & Hark Patio Smoker