New Australian BBQ Wood Pellets - Have your Say!

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
RedHot_Pellets

Post by RedHot_Pellets »

Hi Guys,

We’re a family business based in the South Coast of NSW. One facet of our business is manufacturing wood pellets for pellets heaters, from local Australian hardwood and softwoods.
We recently discovered the world of pellet BBQing (we use a Yoder Competition Smoker) and noticed there’s a distinct lack of Australian made BBQ Wood Pellets…and we want to change that.
We’ve had some great success during our trial runs including; pellets made from port barrels and Australian Shiraz Barrels. We’ve also tried a range of garlic and herb pellets. The aroma is unbelievable and the taste is even better.

We really want to get some feedback from people ‘in the know’. We’d love to know what kind of flavour combinations you’d like to see or what flavours are your favourite.
We’d also like to know what size packaging you’d prefer. Would you be more favourable to a smaller 5Kg bag that lets you try new flavours more frequently or would you prefer to see a larger 10kg bag? Let us know what size bag would better suit your needs and why!

We have a great chance to create awesome Australian made pellets and want to create pellets that BBQ fanatics will really enjoy.

Please comment below with any flavour suggestions, comments or changes you’d like to see in the BBQ Pellet Market.

Cheers,
Steph :D
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Excellent to see that you're asking for customers feedback. Have a website yet? Of Facebook page?
RedHot_Pellets

Re:

Post by RedHot_Pellets »

yakabot wrote:Excellent to see that you're asking for customers feedback. Have a website yet? Of Facebook page?
Hi yakabot,

We have a website and Facebook page for our wood pellets and pellet heaters ( http://www.piazzetta.com.au/ + www.facebook.com/piazzettaaustralia) - however, we're in the development stage of our BBQ pellets so we haven't established an online presence. At this moment, we're really keen to see what flavours pellet bbqer's like and would like to see!
jjjones

Re: New Australian BBQ Wood Pellets - Have your Say!

Post by jjjones »

Pellet prices seem quite high at the moment at roughly $40/12kg. For me, id buy your product depending on the price.
Flavours arn't really a priority for me, standard flavours like Hickory, etc all work well.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I've heard Macadamia, Apple, cherry and grape vine woods are pretty good. I still think Pellets are a bit highly priced at the moment although on saying that, the majority are imported from the USA and price will reflect on exchange rates.
We have a lot of fruit orchards in this country so there's a lot of scope for our own flavoured pellets.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

What you need is a base wood, Something cheap and local to you that has a fairly benign flavor profile.
Something like black butt or beech (The seppos use oak) Then make that 60% or there abouts and blend in some higher end woods to make the flavor profile. Pellet cookers dont need 100% fancy flavor wood.
As for flavor wood,
Macadamia would kick arse. Mulberry is not farmed but is similar to hickory. Sheoak is also a great heavy flavor. There are so many, You have to work out a blend yourself and test it in your yoder. None of us can make pellets so are only guessing what works.
What we really want is a guaranteed basic "Clean" hardwood pellet that is cost effective. If that means just your local hardwoods with no kiff then happy days, I will buy the product. :)
Some of us use Maxiheat pellets at under $15 for 15kg for high heat cooking. Cant smell pine in it but its a little kiffy (Bark and crap)
Good luck, It will be great to have another brand.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
SnappDaddy

Post by SnappDaddy »

I like them pretty simple.

I reckon an Ironbark and Redgum pellet would be good. I've been using primarily Ironbark in my offset of late which has been great.

Like the others, I like Hickory, Apple, Cheery, Oak as well.
SnappDaddy

Post by SnappDaddy »

I like them pretty simple.

I reckon an Ironbark and Redgum pellet would be good. I've been using primarily Ironbark in my offset of late which has been great.

Like the others, I like Hickory, Apple, Cheery, Oak as well.
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

I'm happy with whatever hardwood you can make them out of that would be general purpose use and in 10-15kg bags. If you want to make special flavours then I reckon 2kg-5kg bags would be the way to go as you could use them on a per cook basis, then revert back to your normal preferred pellet, or mix them together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finni

Post by Finni »

Hi, has there been anymore developments with these wood pellets because i would love to buy from an aussie company.
Cheers
RedHot_Pellets

Post by RedHot_Pellets »

Hi Guys!

A sincere thank you to everyone that shared their thoughts and opinions with us. We've had a really busy few months developing our pellets and are super excited to say they'll be ready in late October.

Whilst I can't give away too much information yet, we'll be producing 100% wood pellets with no binders, fillers or oils - including a range of 100% iron bark pellets in 10kg bags.

If you would like us to email you when our pellets are available for purchase please feel free to Direct Message me your email address.

Thanks,

Steph
AnzacPaul

Post by AnzacPaul »

Just checked the website and can't see anything about these, so guessing it never went ahead? I've just bought a DB and would love to find some Aussie made pellets.

Are there any Australian manufacturers of them?
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Hi Paul

Yes there are Australian manufactures, the main issues are softness causing too much ash which can lean to hopper box fires and the other issue is harness. Australian timbers can be too hard, and because the augers of all pellet BBQs are designed to cut long pellets in half, we are expirencing auger wear.
Not all pellets are created equal and you usually get what you pay for.
Cheers Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
AnzacPaul

Post by AnzacPaul »

Thanks Dave. What do you recommend? I see bbqers delight are popular around here. Any others?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Grill Pro Australia wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:05 pm Hi Paul

Yes there are Australian manufactures, the main issues are softness causing too much ash which can lean to hopper box fires and the other issue is harness. Australian timbers can be too hard, and because the augers of all pellet BBQs are designed to cut long pellets in half, we are expirencing auger wear.
Not all pellets are created equal and you usually get what you pay for.
Cheers Dave
Yeah that makes sense Dave, he said in a post about 2-3 yrs ago now that he uses a combo of hard and soft woods, I myself aren't too keen on the idea of using any softwoods due to their resin and sappy nature. The wine barrels might've been ok...didn't you import some Whiskey Barrels from the US? How did they go Dave?

One day I'll get another Pelletpooper....after looking at my mate Chris's LG900, this one would suit me...but I don't mind the newer Traegers either...much better design than before.....still can't afford a Yoder :lol:

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5