Which size GMG Bowie or Boone ?

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
guitarnasty

Post by guitarnasty »

Hi guys . New to this pellet grill thing and want to pull the trigger on a GMG. Unfortunately I don't live near a retailer so I have to buy online, but first I need some advice first .

I have a family of four but occasionally do a few parties . Looking to use it for mainly low and slow but also for cooking pizzas and even grilling if it will do it

Will the Boone be adequate for weekend family cooking. I guess I could use my gasser when grilling for parties etc or should I go the full hog and get the Bowie . I'm guessing the Bowie would use more pellets to run or is this not a major consideration .

Is bigger better? Opinions and advice most welcome
ozwaz

Re: Which size GMG Bowie or Boone ?

Post by ozwaz »

guitarnasty wrote:Hi guys . New to this pellet grill thing and want to pull the trigger on a GMG. Unfortunately I don't live near a retailer so I have to buy online, but first I need some advice first .

I have a family of four but occasionally do a few parties . Looking to use it for mainly low and slow but also for cooking pizzas and even grilling if it will do it

Will the Boone be adequate for weekend family cooking. I guess I could use my gasser when grilling for parties etc or should I go the full hog and get the Bowie . I'm guessing the Bowie would use more pellets to run or is this not a major consideration .

Is bigger better? Opinions and advice most welcome
Hi Guitar,

I have a Traeger, but a big one, so probably about the size of a Bowie (it may be a little bigger but I'm not 100% sure, I'm sure others on here can correct), and it's huge - as the Bowie will be. I did a cook for 50 people last weekend, and that was without me having enough time in the end to install a second shelf, something which can be done in all of the pellet grills.

A Davy Crockett can easily cook for four, but would be lacking for a party. I know this as my brother has one, I have used it many times, and that is how I developed this pellet obsession.

Personally I fell the Boone will be more than big enough. Find yourself a stainless shelf out of an old oven which fits nicely, get some stainless bolts as stands and you practically double your capacity. I love my Traeger, how many q's can cook for 50+ people (even before I got the shelf in), but it's a bit of a pig. The Davy Crockett uses a fraction of the pellets. When I fire it up now I try to plan ahead and cook a couple of meals worth at a time, chuck the extras in the fridge then slowly re-heat. This works very well, but with a smaller unit I wouldn't be as concerned with pellet use. Having said that, I'm not trading my Traeger anytime soon.

Here is around 16 - 17kg of meat in the Traeger, with a second shelf significantly more could be put in. If you need to cook this amount often, get the big boy, bit really the mid sized unit could probably take all this with a shelf. I could get a whole sheep in here, crack the back and fold it over, it will seriously fit. Hopefully I have given you an indication of their true size.

Cheers

Wazza
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Remember that you stack these up, so you cab get a lot more in than you think. Pellet consumption is not a concern, my Jim Bowie uses 220g an hour on Low and Slow.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

I have the Boone and agree with what others have said about its deceptively large capacity. In addition you have a gasser you could use to finish things like wings and ribs on if you need grilling temps. My comment relates to your desire for cooking pizzas and the like on it. I find that at higher temps it chews pellets like they are going out of fashion. As a result I only use mine for low and slow 150-275F, anything much above that and it really starts getting into costly pellet consumption territory. From what I've seen, they're all like this. It's not just a problem for the GMGs. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guitarnasty

Post by guitarnasty »

Thanks . Some very good advice here . Didn't think about the rack so I guess it doubles it size. The Boone might adequate for my needs
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I guess it is about finances...have not heard many say they regretted going larger, have herd that from those that bought smaller. For a unit that is 50% larger, the pellet consumption is not that much greater, yes, it will use about 1.5kg/hour on high, but how long does it take to cook a pizza or a steak? 10 minutes, 20 tops for steaks...with heat up, your unit is on for 30-40 minutes and you have used a kg...even at a $1/kg, that is pretty efficient...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Gumb

Post by Gumb »

For a quick steak or a pizza, I'd be burning the cheaper fuel/BBQ pellets from BBQS Galore. They are $1/kg approx.

I know what Bentley is saying but I think for everyday family use, the Boone with an extra rack is plenty. I used the grill extender from my kamado inside the Boone and it worked fine. You can buy those online from Smoke King BBQs for $40.
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Also have a look a the GMG facebook page - this question gets asked almost every day on that page. Americans seem to say to get the Bowie, everyone else says the Boone. I have a feeling this is due to the much lower cost of pellets over there.
jjjones

Post by jjjones »

Gumb wrote:For a quick steak or a pizza, I'd be burning the cheaper fuel/BBQ pellets from BBQS Galore. They are $1/kg approx.
Hey mate, which Pellets are these?
You referring to these ones?
https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/maxi ... mxpellet15
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

I thought Bunnings pellets were for heating only. Dunno if I would trust them with food. You might have been fine up to now but only takes one bag with some nasty stuff in it to make people sick.

Gumb

Post by Gumb »

jjjones wrote:
Gumb wrote:For a quick steak or a pizza, I'd be burning the cheaper fuel/BBQ pellets from BBQS Galore. They are $1/kg approx.
Hey mate, which Pellets are these?
You referring to these ones?
https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/maxi ... mxpellet15
That's them. They are labelled BBQ and heating.

i used to mix them with the flavour pellets which helped keep the cost down. They say they will burn faster but at about half the price it's still a cheaper alternative. Other guys on here have been using these for a long time with no problems.
wedwards wrote:I thought Bunnings pellets were for heating only. Dunno if I would trust them with food. You might have been fine up to now but only takes one bag with some nasty stuff in it to make people sick.

BBQS Galore, not Bunnings.
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Oh my bad, will have to check them out