Opening drip tray for direct flame on DC mid-cook

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
toscadera

Opening drip tray for direct flame on DC mid-cook

Post by toscadera »

Hi all,

I thought I might try Amfibius' peri-peri chicken today (http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=4325). I was thinking smoke the marylands for maybe 15 minutes on low 225F and then crank it up to about 400 and opening the drip tray for direct flame grilling for the rest of the cook.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan? And secondly, how do I open the drip tray once it's already hot and possibly sticky from the chicken drippings? Sadly, unlike Aaron Franklin I don't have asbestos fingers... :D
Jars

Re: Opening drip tray for direct flame on DC mid-cook

Post by Jars »

Not sure how the DB is set up, but on my ys480 I just start off in direct grilling mode (Heat deflector out, grill grates on) and try to avoid putting anything directly over the fire. Smoke then crank it up and sear as needed. Havent had any issues yet.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

With the GMG DC, take out the main deflector and set the sliding direct flame drip pan so it exposes the holes when you slide it DOWN. Sliding it downhill with a pair of tongs should be easy.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
toscadera

Post by toscadera »

Thanks guys!

Couldn't find marylands anywhere, so now I have an entire chook...so, new plan:

Cut in half, marinate, and then smoke at 200-225F for 30 minutes, then crank it up to 350F until internal temp reaches 155F, then crank temp again to 420F to crisp chicken up until int temp is 175F.

Here's hoping that works...anyone has any ideas on approximately how long that would take? I need to keep the peace by delivering food at least somewhere around dinner time...
pepe

Post by pepe »

I cooked a couple of the pre prepared butterfly Mt Barker chooks last week, Morocan flavour, I ran them @ 180c for 40 - 50 mins. Came out really well.