pulled pork on brand new DC - questions

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
toscadera

Post by toscadera »

Hi all,

have been lurking for a couple of weeks and reading up on all the great info on here! Decided to go with the DC because I like the idea of set-and-forget and I love my tech gadgets, so wifi it was. :D

Got up at 6 to plonk in my pork shoulder and despite working perfectly fine yesterday when I tried it and updated the firmware, the wifi wouldn't work today (wifi light is off). Not to be discouraged I contacted GMG in the US (yay time difference) and they suggested a reset and a hot start. Did both and wifi worked until the temperature was displayed and since then wifi has been off. I decided to leave wifi alone and just cook the pork without wifi profile.

So, two wifi questions:
- why is wifi off?
- updated yesterday to firmware from 4.3 to 5.3, I thought it was up to 5.8? (I tried again thinking it might need several steps to get to 5.8, no change)

Also, I have been cooking since 7 on 275F and after 6 hours there had barely been a bark to speak off, and the fat hadn't split on top (as per Aaron Franklin video), left it for another hour until it reached 165F internally and then wrapped it, not much change on the fat though, and it didn't look like the fat had rendered yet...

With the wrapping and the internal temperature, do I just poke a whole through the aluminium foil? doesn't that defeat the purpose of wrapping it tightly and cooking it in it's own steam? Or is the hole to small to make a difference?
Gumb

Re: pulled pork on brand new DC - questions

Post by Gumb »

Firstly, be patient, good pulled pork takes time. Yes, if you have a thermometer, poke it through the foil. And whn it's up to 92c, taker it out, and a good splash of apple juice (or water/bbq sauce mix is good too) and double warp it in foil. Put it in an esky with towels taking up the void and leave it for an hour minimum, longer is good. Even 4 hours is Ok so take it out when you are ready. It should be piping hot and falling apart. It won't have a crusty bark but that's secondary to the end result.
toscadera

Post by toscadera »

thanks for the advice - followed it and the pork turned out absolutely delicious! The guests were also delighted and only told me afterwards that they're not mad keen on pork usually, but this one changed their mind! So, a good start!

Weather not good enough today to turn it back on and fix the wifi, but probably good not to annoy the neighbours unnecessarily with more smoke...ahem... :mrgreen:
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

The DC runs a different firmware to the DB and JB, so the version won't be the same.

What do you mean WiFi is off? ...you mean on your phone? The GMGs don't need to be connected to a phone to run a profile, once you have sent the profile to the BBQ it will remember the program and run it without needing the phone, you can leave and come back later and reconnect from the app.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
toscadera

Post by toscadera »

urbangriller wrote:The DC runs a different firmware to the DB and JB, so the version won't be the same.

What do you mean WiFi is off? ...you mean on your phone? The GMGs don't need to be connected to a phone to run a profile, once you have sent the profile to the BBQ it will remember the program and run it without needing the phone, you can leave and come back later and reconnect from the app.

Cheers
Chris
The phone could not connect to the DC and the wifi light on the DC was off ( apparently that's normal though, according to GMG support). So couldn't send the profile to the grill, as the phone (iPhone 5) couldn't find and connect to the grill. Off course once I had turned it off and then on again after dinner, , the wifi light was back and the phone could 'see' the gmg wifi network...still wouldn't connect to the home network though. I will have to try again when the weather is dry and I can lug it out the garage.

Apropos, has anyone found a suitable steel (kitchen?) trolley to put it on? Would be nice to just wheel it in and out of the garage...something like this, just cheaper :D http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/50170636/
Nath

Post by Nath »

Mine sits on a cheap 3 tier tool trolley. About $100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
toscadera

Post by toscadera »

Nath wrote:Mine sits on a cheap 3 tier tool trolley. About $100

exactly what I was thinking - where did you get it? I tried buntings, but they're too expensive
Nath

Post by Nath »

Think it was toolmart? Or off eBay I can't remember now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath