Chicken Legs/wings on Davey Crockett Take 2

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
damianpyro

Chicken Legs/wings on Davey Crockett Take 2

Post by damianpyro »

Tried again using the following profile:

180 F for 30 mins for smoke
350 F for 30 min for cooking
350 F until 190 F internal for fall apartness

Chicken was raw and rubbery, so changed thermometer position and it went from 190 F to 170F.

Cooked until 190 F again at 350 F, colour changed a lot nicer but no blackened bits on the edges that I like.

Chicken was very juicy with nice smoke flavour (GMG fruitwood) skin was dry and tough, meat heavily smoke ringed and not quite tender enough.

What setting should I change to get better results next time.?
damianpyro

Re: Chicken Legs/wings on Davey Crockett Take 2

Post by damianpyro »

Also, would putting in the grill grates or opening the holes in the fat drip tray change anything for the better?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I just do chicken at 150c (300f) until it hits 68-70c internal (about 160F). Always moist if you buy the right free range. Taking it to 195F is way over in my book.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Let pit reach 500°F. Place wings on grill, cook 10 minutes, turn, cook 10 minutes, turn chicken again as you turn the pit to 350°F...rest of your cook just the way you did it...I like about 203°F IT, but I like fall off the bone meat. After IT reached turn pit back to 500°F, sauce wings in big bowl, back on grill till your personal char finish has been achieved!

Make sure to brine for at least 12 hours, you will then have not only better flavored wings, but the high IT has no negative effects on the Wings!

Then let me know if it is a good technique or a stupid suggestion from a Wanker!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!