Another go at curing Bacon...

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Bentley

Another go at curing Bacon...

Post by Bentley »

Giving another go at bacon, this time with a little twist. Trying Loin and Picnic as the meat. Last time I tried Loin Bacon, I tried to cure a cooked pork loin, yes, I know what you are thinking...and you are right.

Well, they were both around $2/lb. so I figured if I could pull it off, it would be about half the cost of store bought. But Mr. Nimrod reared his head in once again. I figured, hey here are some Pickling Spices, lets run them through the spice grinder and throw them in with the salt, brown sugar, sorghum syrup and modern Cure #1. These photos were about 3 1/2 days in. I am planning on a 14 day wet brine. Well, after pulling it out to see how penetration was going on the 15h, I realized I had made a big mistake with the pickling spices and the sorghum syrup (maybe not as much of a problem with the sorghum)! So, mix up a new batch with just MC #1, salt, brown sugar and water. Will see, the few pieces I tasted were delicious ham...they were not bacon. Ohh well, it is always something.

Will pull it on the 25th...will hope for the best, but not holding out a lot of hope. I am also concerned that Picnic, after being boned (and quite well if I do say so myself) is just going to be to difficult to slice for streaky bacon as the Pelletheads across the pond call it. Should have stuck with Belly, but hard to source here in Mayberry!

Keep your fingers crossed for me! Worst case scenario, I will grind it up and make Ham sausage!

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Bentley

Re: Another go at curing Bacon...

Post by Bentley »

Well, curing is done. Decided 13 days was enough...Over the next 24 hours will let it dry and form the Pellicle for Smoking, hit it with an 8-12 hour Cold Cherry Wood smoke, then warm smoke it to an IT of 135° and see if it can be salvaged...I think I am gonna have a lot of Ham & no Bacon! May hit it with some homey and fresh cracked black pepper after the cold smoke & before the Warm smoke.

And I will offer up this advice, don't ever try and cheap out and use a Picnic roast for bacon.

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Will see what several hours in some Cherry Wood smoke does!

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Bentley

Post by Bentley »

No where near as much smoke time as it should have, but I simply get tired of doing it...know wonder why folks have small, dedicated smoke houses! This was just shy of 8 hours and IT exactly 135°, a cold and warm/hot smoke combination! I do like the color!

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I like the colour as well Bentley....looks good! :D
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

love it
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

bently mate forgot to ask.. what cold smoker are you using?
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Blaz'n Smoker.
skuzy wrote:bently mate forgot to ask.. what cold smoker are you using?

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

skuzy

Post by skuzy »

wow that is a serious bit of unit!!

im currently using a $15 steel strainer .. its so temperamental iam sick of it.
Now going buy a proper one. Only need to decide which :)