GMG Alternative

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
wedwards

Re: GMG Alternative

Post by wedwards »

Far out, the controller from my local supplier has the exact same issue as the original one that came in my grill - v4.3 firmware, try to update and it says its updating them sits stuck at 0 for a bit and then says fail. I know its not my phone or wifi network, as the second controller was able to be updated with these without any issues. So thats 3 out of 3 controllers that are a fail;

- First had v4.3 firmware, operated grill fine in manual mode, but wifi would not work and firmware could not be updated. Local wifi worked, but only while standing close to the grill
- Second had v4.3 firmware, was able to update the firmware to latest version, however this one somehow could not operate the fans in my grill
- Third was the same as the first, however the local wifi actually works from inside my house with the grill outside (slight bonus)

Surely Im not just super unlucky? Im quickly becoming tired of this.

If I forget about a grill that has wifi, is there anything that is programmable in a similar way that allows me to program a set of temps for either time or temp probe temperature (or combo of both), and then at the end revert to keep warm? I hate user interfaces in most things because they suck, but this sucks worse at this point. At this point I just want to understand what else might be out there, but if I have to take it back and return it I would like to have already done the research on alternatives, as I am set on the cooking method for sure - in manual mode this thing turns out really nice food.
edgy

Post by edgy »

Sorry to hear your problems.

I'm not aware of any other pellet on the Aussie market with the wifi or programable profiles.

But to be honest in all the time I've been running a pellet I've never once wished I had this feature! Maybe I'm backwards? I mean I only bought a thermapen 1 year ago! :lol: seldom do I use it.

There's a lot to be said for A) knowing your equipment and B) having a dependable unit

It's good to just throw your stuff in, go to work for the day, go get some sleep etc and know evetyhing is going to be fine!

If you wanted to monitor remotely you can always get a tappecue but it doesn't control temp... But as I said getting to know your gear will mean you can time a cook like clock work! I'll cook 5 categories in a Comp and make every turn in, every time!

If I wanted anymore buttons than i have my microwave has plenty of buttons to play with... It's bbq afterall K.I.S.S. Principle is best applied.

Good luck with it!
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
smoking jim

Post by smoking jim »

Have a look at bob grillson premium it has no WiFi problems just set and forget.
Bradley BTDS108CE-6.Bradley Propane Smoker.Kamado Royal.Webber 1982 Kettle.Anuka.Home Build Pellet Pooper,Bob Grillson 2014 Premium with WiFi App.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

They are $7,000 here, how much do they cost there?

smoking jim wrote:Have a look at bob grillson premium it has no WiFi problems just set and forget.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

smoking jim

Post by smoking jim »

About the same for a private import but that is about to change.
Bradley BTDS108CE-6.Bradley Propane Smoker.Kamado Royal.Webber 1982 Kettle.Anuka.Home Build Pellet Pooper,Bob Grillson 2014 Premium with WiFi App.
wedwards

GMG Alternative

Post by wedwards »

edgy wrote:Sorry to hear your problems.

I'm not aware of any other pellet on the Aussie market with the wifi or programable profiles.

But to be honest in all the time I've been running a pellet I've never once wished I had this feature! Maybe I'm backwards? I mean I only bought a thermapen 1 year ago! :lol: seldom do I use it.

There's a lot to be said for A) knowing your equipment and B) having a dependable unit

It's good to just throw your stuff in, go to work for the day, go get some sleep etc and know evetyhing is going to be fine!

If you wanted to monitor remotely you can always get a tappecue but it doesn't control temp...
Yeah I'm hearing you, especially after this experience, which was a bit of an impulse buy. The fact that you could do all of these extra things was a big draw card for me, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered and just gone with a yoder or something.

The fact that it works from its control panel is great, but the fact that it is on very old software which will have different algorithm for pellet feed and temp control compared to up to date firmware, just makes my brain go crazy and I will always have this in the back of my mind.

I'm actually not convinced that the current version of the software is keeping temp anywhere near what the control panel says it is, as I actually burnt some wings at 150 degrees in the first cook on it, and that's kind not likely given the short cook time I gave them.

I've got a tappecue but to be honest I find I use the manual thermapen more often. Maybe the tappecue in conjunction with a solid grill and some training of the wife to adjust temp when I will be away is all I need. Don't know.

Went through a bag of pellets last weekend which was the first weekend I had the grill. Will hammer it this weekend on all sorts of stuff on its manual setting and see how I feel about things by Monday.

One of the other big issues I have is that if I return the grill, it will be to the only local supplier of pellets in my area, which will mean I will have to go drive a couple hours to Melbourne to buy pellets in bulk.

Am going to put some jerky on for a few hours now that I've had my morning coffee and see how we go.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

wedwards wrote:

I actually burnt some wings at 150 degrees in the first cook on it, and that's kind not likely given the short cook time I gave them.
One of the things I found using a pellet grill is that the actual grill is very low down in the chamber and close to the heat deflector plate which sits underneath. I always raised the food up using the extender grill from my kamado which sat nicely on the main grill. Maybe your wings got too much of that radiant heat ?
wedwards

GMG Alternative

Post by wedwards »

Yeah you might be right about that I think. Got 4 racks of jerky on there for the next few hours so will see how that goes. For the wings I might just have to do at slightly lower temp. Every grill is different I guess. The weird thing is that the temp sensor sits around the same height as the food so I would have thought should be similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Too much technology.......I prefer old school BBQ whilst monitoring with a few coldies and a nap in the chair next to the cooker......my idea of relaxation :)
Even when I had the Traeger pellet cooker, I was more interested in what the meat was doing rather than the cooker....just a simple Weber remote temp device near my bed was all I needed.

as a slight side issue.....too much can go wrong if not at home to monitor the cooking...I would never have something on the go if I was at work irrespective of how much technology was available. Yesterday afternoon, the house next door caught fire less than an hour after the last occupant went off to work....if my wife wasn't at home to activate the hose at the side of our place, we wouldn't have had anywhere to sleep last night....it was that bloody close!!
The fire melted our instantaneous gas hot water service :shock:

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Davo wrote:....if my wife wasn't at home to activate the hose at the side of our place, we wouldn't have had anywhere to sleep last night....it was that bloody close!!
The fire melted our instantaneous gas hot water service :shock:

cheers

Davo
That was close Mate! Im glad your place is ok, ( other than your instantaneous gas hot water service ) Cold showers this morning? :roll:

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Ummm...no showers...we are starting to smell a bit lol

Some of the downpipes from the guttering started to melt too......

Just goes to show how things can go pear shaped in an instant when no-one is around....Murphy has a lot to answer to me thinks :roll:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
wedwards

GMG Alternative

Post by wedwards »

Thanks guys, think I need to re-think my approach to this. Appreciate all the feedback

damianpyro

Post by damianpyro »

wedwards wrote:Far out, the controller from my local supplier has the exact same issue as the original one that came in my grill - v4.3 firmware, try to update and it says its updating them sits stuck at 0 for a bit and then says fail. Id.
That was my problem, Took the grill back to Chris and he used android instead of iPhone, and it works perfect now.
wedwards

GMG Alternative

Post by wedwards »

damianpyro wrote:
wedwards wrote:Far out, the controller from my local supplier has the exact same issue as the original one that came in my grill - v4.3 firmware, try to update and it says its updating them sits stuck at 0 for a bit and then says fail. Id.
That was my problem, Took the grill back to Chris and he used android instead of iPhone, and it works perfect now.
Gonna be a hell of a road trip from Vic to WA to achieve that one ;)

Muppet

GMG Alternative

Post by Muppet »

Mate I would look closer at my device, 3 outa 3 is beyond belief. With the amount sold verses complaints I think is a simple fix once found. Frustrating stuff yeah but my bets on a simple device issue, either try another device or re install your operating system. GMG's have been pretty solid
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi