Tpying with a pellet smoker

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
aussieant32

Re: Tpying with a pellet smoker

Post by aussieant32 »

Thanks guys.

Due to space limitation we don't really hold big get together so so it's usually for a max of 6 people. The kamado and ots handle the volume fine, just after something for me and the mrs that I don't have be constantly close to home for.
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

There's always the option of a stoker for your Kamado too. I've been playing with wangs Qmaster senior lately and it does what you are after. My little Traeger is a good thing and turns out some good tucker but I would probably go the DC if I was to start again. The 12v option would be great for down the beach :)
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

i may be getting another smoker :D :D and following this thread closely..

one of the show stoppers for me previously with pellet smokers was the availability of pellets and cost of pellets (vs charcoal)..

hows it these days ?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

skuzy wrote:i may be getting another smoker :D :D and following this thread closely..

one of the show stoppers for me previously with pellet smokers was the availability of pellets and cost of pellets (vs charcoal)..

hows it these days ?
Pellets will get cheaper as more people use them, but my GMG Jim Bowie uses max 250g per hour at low and slow, that's about 76c per hour using GMG pellets and 97c per hour using the others.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Damn you guys, after reading this thread I walked into local supplier today and an hour later took home a GMG Daniel Boone. Burning it in as we speak and will have wings on it tomorrow followed by a pork shoulder if I can sneak it past the mrs (she thinks she has other plans for it ... Little does she know). Was waiting on a proq to come into stock but it was taking too long and to find a local supplier of pellets I was sold. According to the guy, this should replace my WSM, weber Q and even my kettle - not sure about the kettle but the rest are probably up for sale after this weekend by the looks of it. This thing is deceptively roomy, and with the second shelf it can fit a LOT of food in it. The ability to put something on in the morning or at lunch time and come home to it cooked and keeping warm was the major selling point for me.
DingoWA

Post by DingoWA »

Enjoy. I am very happy with my GMG DC and will be finding new things for it to do for ages yet. The wifi is great and adds so much to it.
Weber OTG/Roti, Workhorse gassers, Weber Q, GMG DC
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Good stuff wedwards! The Wifi control is crazy good...that's exactly what I do, put dinner on, go to work and come home to it sitting there waiting for me, cooked and at temperature.....like magic!

Get some grill grates for it!

Cheers
Chris
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

is it a coincidence my tax refund is near enough the same price as a DC???

Although I have a pork shoulder in the weber, about 15 hours in and it makes me think I might miss the fiddling?
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Yeah grill grates are top of the list as well as the second shelf, and a LOT of bags of pellets. Love this thing so far. Think my wifi panel might be dead though, it seems to only let me join its network if I'm standing right next to it, and it won't update firmware from 4.3 or join my airport network either. Have logged a support call with them and hope that's an easy fix. Have done all the usual troubleshooting stuff in the documentation but no go as yet. Once I get it joined to my network, it will be a complete weapon.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

What phone Wedwards? Iphone? or Android?

Oooops....just saw the answer "Airport"....that'd be Apple and the issue with Apple is they upgrade the OS automatically but leave old the WiFi protocols. You need to whipe the OS and clean install the latest OS instead of just letting it upgrade all the time, that way it'll install the current protocols on your phone.

Cheers
Chris
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Yeah it's an iPhone. So if I just erase all content and settings and then restore from iCloud backup that will do what is required?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

wedwards wrote:Yeah it's an iPhone. So if I just erase all content and settings and then restore from iCloud backup that will do what is required?
I'm not an iPerson so I can't advise you on that, but I'm told you need to remove the Os and get a clean install of the current OS, perhaps talk to Apple?

Chris
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Thanks Chris, tried all that but still does the same thing, only difference now is that I can actually connect to its local wifi network from some distance now, whereas before I had to be standing right next to it. I do know a thing or 2 about IT stuff, and was able to hack my way into the web interface of the unit and manually get it to join my wifi network, but there must be other settings that the app implements on the controller, which I couldn't find documentation on. Have reset everything back now, but at least it proves the unit can actually connect to my wifi network, which is a start.

Is there an Australian support number I could ring to get some assistance? Ive logged an email support call but expect it will take a bit for them to get back to me.

Sorry about hijacking the thread by the way.
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Don't worry, found the Australian support number and Paul is investigating now, thanks.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

wedwards wrote:Don't worry, found the Australian support number and Paul is investigating now, thanks.
And it's Monday in the US overnight so you should get an answer from them also.

Cheers
Chris