Smoked Tomatoes

FRUIT N VEGGIES
Dan

Smoked Tomatoes

Post by Dan »

I just wanted to share my joy. How bloody good is warm-smoked tomato!?!

I did some last night w/ a beef blade + pork shoulder in my temporary smoker along with some spuds, but I have to say that these surprised me. I just used one cold w/ the sliced meats as part of sandwich, was more impressive than the meats.

You could just squash these with a fork and a pinch of salt, perhaps a touch of sugar, and it is a perfect relish.
titch

Re: Smoked Tomatoes

Post by titch »

Something new tell me more.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Dan

Post by Dan »

I did not figure I was re-inventing the wheel here.

Baked tomato = good
Smoked tomato must = good-er

Just put them in with about an hour or 2 to go, can't remember, enough to get them to start wilting down and skins splitting. Smoked with a mix of the Mesquite dust and Hickory chips from BG at about 95°C.

I just really enjoyed how utterly savoury they were. I compared some to a tomato relish I bought today, and it made the relish seem flat and lifeless.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Smoked Tomato makes GREAT Pizza sauce!

Or a sanga with fresh Motz and basil!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
BBQ Princess

Post by BBQ Princess »

Thanks for sharing this - I will definitely have to try it. We first had smoked tomato at our favourite seafood restaurant a few months ago, and it absolutely blew me away. The seafood was sensational, as we expected, but the tomato makes my mouth water just thinking about it. It was such a wonderful surprise :D
Dan

Post by Dan »

I love the idea of the pizza sauce. It means you could make a pretty simple pizza (as in not too much going on) but have some good robust flavours in there. You could even go the next step and preserve them, or just freeze them. Would be nice to have on hand to add to other dishes.