Dionysus's Basic Slaws

FRUIT N VEGGIES
dionysus32

Dionysus's Basic Slaws

Post by dionysus32 »

Hi Guys

Thought I would share a few really quick coleslaw recipes I like to whip up..
These are not your "gourmet" types, more of something you can make when you need a quick salad or have a heap of guests and want to make something in a big quantity.

Quantities are rough so add ingredients based on your taste.

European Slaw
Ingredients:
Mayo (organic)
Cabbage
Carrot
capsicum
Ajvar
Pesto
Season with Pepper

If you have time time you can make your own Mayo, Ajvar and Pesto but if you want it quick I use:
S&w Mayonnaise Organic
Jamie oliver pesto italian herb
Mamas European Foods Ajvar Paprika Relish Mild

I normally make 50/50 cabbage/carrot and add in a capsicum cut up in finger length, I then add a heaped tablespoon of mayo then mix and then add my Ajvar and Pesto. Depending on quantity I usually add half a teaspoon of pesto for ever tablespoon of Ajvar so for a serving for 4 I might add 2 tablespoons of Ajvar and 1 teaspoon of pesto.
After you have mixed it all add more mayo slowly to try get a nice balance that's not slop and then season with ground pepper.

Hot Slaw
Ingredients:
Mayo (organic)
Cabbage
Carrot
Sweet Habanero hot sauce

This one is even easier, pretty much whip up a basic slaw and add a sweet habanero sauce to the mix, now habanero can be quite hot so add it slowly.
I use Jme Holy Habanero Sauce as its essentially a sweet chilli sauce made with habanero.

I also tend to add/remove pending whats in the fridge but these are my goto's when I need a quick slaw.

Enjoy
wedwards

Re: Dionysus's Basic Slaws

Post by wedwards »

Both sound awesome.

My favourite slaw recipe has some Mexican influences;

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup small-dice red onion (about 1/2 medium red onion)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 3 medium limes)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar / substitute a tablespoon or 2 of maple syrup to take it to the next level
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
1 medium head of green or red cabbage (about 2 pounds)
1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

INSTRUCTIONS
Whisk together the onion, 3 tablespoons of the lime juice, the oil, measured salt and pepper, sugar, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and garlic in a large bowl until combined; set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage.

Slice the cabbage in half through the core. Cut a V-shaped notch around the white core on each half; discard the core. Slice each half lengthwise into quarters and thinly slice each quarter crosswise into 1/8-inch-wide strips.

Add the cabbage and cilantro to a plastic freezer bag (I mix everything in bags for better distribution, but you can do it in a large bowl) with the dressing and toss to combine. Refrigerate, tossing once or twice, until the flavors have mellowed and melded, about 1 1/2 hours. Add the remaining tablespoon of lime juice, toss again, taste, and season with more salt and pepper as needed before serving.

This stuff gets insanely better if you make it a day or two in advance. Lasts up to a week in the fridge.