Kamado deflector

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Kamado deflector

Post by Lovey »

G'day all,
I've been looking around for a deflector for my Dragon kamado as it doesn't come with one like the Akorn does. Anyhoo, in my searching for a suitable deflector I came across someone using a paella pan and it seemed like a good fit. I bought 2 of them, one a 38cm and the other a 30cm with the idea to use one as the deflector and one as the drip pan if required. They arrived today and I put them into the kamado. I had envisioned the pan sitting on top of the wire frame that is on top of the firebox, but the handles reach the sides of the firebox and the pan is suspended above this grate. The 30cm pan sits nicely inside with the handles reaching the lip of the the 38cm one.
Paella.jpg
Paella.jpg (123.92 KiB) Viewed 5443 times
As you can see from the picture the handles are painted red, I had hoped that they were plastic coated as it would be easier to cut the plastic off. My question is what would be the best way to remove the red paint? Should I use paint stripper and then clean if off, or just crank the kamado and burn it off?
Thanks for looking.
12x7

Re: Kamado deflector

Post by 12x7 »

It depends on how the paint is applied.

1) Burn it off. Easy if it comes off, if not it hardens and makes it harder to remove by other means.
2) Sand it off with sandpaper etc
3) Chemical paint stripper
4) Hot air paint stripper

I would remove it regardless as if there is paint left when you are cooking it would probably be toxic and not good.
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

Another option to remove the paint is sand blasting, alot of workshops have cabinets these days, if you ask around I'm sure you could get it done.
Michael_Dunn

Post by Michael_Dunn »

> I've been looking around for a deflector for my Dragon kamado as it doesn't come with one like the Akorn does

I also have a dragon (BBQ, that is) and bought the Akorn deflector from Bunnings
https://www.bunnings.com.au/char-grille ... e_p3180628

fits perfectly, and what I do like about it is the 3 extended edges/lips give
you an area that protects your probe wires from direct heat
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

G'day all,
Thanks to all for your tips and hints, I got around to removing the paint from the handles the other day and here is the result.
IMG_0091[1].JPG
IMG_0091[1].JPG (207.75 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
I used a wire wheel in the cordless drill to get most of the paint off, then used a gas soldering iron to burn the bits that I couldn't access with the wire wheel.
IMG_0090[1].JPG
IMG_0090[1].JPG (205.77 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
I gave the inner pan a bit of a seasoning, but I need to give it another coat or two when I get a chance.
Thanks for looking.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Looks good and a good solution that also gives you a few paella options too
chilling while grilling