Akorn and Dragon General Discussion

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
CrankyChicken

Re: Akorn and Dragon General Discussion

Post by CrankyChicken »

Sweet will give them a call tomorrow - thanks guys. Good to get a review from the bloke who's done it Steve, just want something to get closer to the coals when you want a quick sear.

On another note - for $299 how bloody good are these things? The wife would be mad with the amount of attention I lavish on it if it wasn't for the fact the end result is a tasty feast - currently got a leg of lamb slowly roasting in it for Sunday dinner, couple of cold ales calling from the fridge and tops Qld Spring weather. Life's good with a Kamado :D
BBQsmoke

Post by BBQsmoke »

Back in (been busy cooking)Kamodo mods in my opinion have allowed me to control the temp at a lower point.
The surgery needed for he bottom door was as easy as taking it off(3 screws) using some players to slightly bend the last 5mm of the slide down so it is closer to the mounted section. Bolt back on and hey presto 100 degree temps controlled with approx 2 mm gap opening. Nearly set and forget now small adjustments only. You could take the long screw out and slide the door out without taking the whole Assy off (I didn't try this)but then the frame will still leak IMO best thing I did.
16 cooks in and 1 and a half bags of charcoal temp controlled easy at 105-110 and fire shuts down quickly.
I use a IGrill 2 probe for on the grill temp and meat thermometer with a stone heat deflector covered in alfoil. Looflighter for start up doors open until 80 degrees then wack the meat on and shut thje vents down when it get back to 90 and slow it up from there.
Be Smoked
Michael_Dunn

Post by Michael_Dunn »

> You could take the long screw out and slide the door out without taking the whole Assy off

That's what I did with my Dragon.

Used a vice to flatten the rear corners (about 5mm square)
a few taps with the hammer (just to make sure)
all of the slider back in the vice at the 5mm mark (must be put in square to the rear edge),
pull or push (depends on way facing), so you get the rear of the slider
similar to flaps-down in an aircraft. Takes about 2 or 3 goes at this so
you get the flaps-down just touching it's holding bracket.

Also holds temps steady now.
BBQsmoke

Post by BBQsmoke »

Cool just bent the last 3-4 mm down and moves without binding all good and sealed better now.
Last edited by BBQsmoke on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be Smoked
Avrok

Post by Avrok »

2 burner hooded bbq cover fits fine, thanks for the advice guys.

I have not use my dragon yet so I need the cover just to prevent surface rust.

I've spoken to bbq galore when I was looking for the bbq cover they told me that they are not selling the dragon anymore due to lack of interest from the public.
WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

Avrok wrote: they told me that they are not selling the dragon anymore due to lack of interest from the public.
Gotta call B.S. on that!

You only have to look at the number of new owners on this forum. I know 2 other guys have bought them based purely on my personal recommendation.

More likely they got told by Kamado Joe, which gives them better margins, that if they don't stop selling a competitor, KJ will pull their entire range. Always follow the money trail. Always.
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
Avrok

Post by Avrok »

WarmBeer wrote:
Avrok wrote: they told me that they are not selling the dragon anymore due to lack of interest from the public.
Gotta call B.S. on that!

You only have to look at the number of new owners on this forum. I know 2 other guys have bought them based purely on my personal recommendation.

More likely they got told by Kamado Joe, which gives them better margins, that if they don't stop selling a competitor, KJ will pull their entire range. Always follow the money trail. Always.

That's true...

Monopoly killed the dragon.

I think same story for Akorn in Bunnings.
Fents

Post by Fents »

I think bunnings will still sell the akorns. If bunnings put them on special fro $299 every now and again they would sell so many more, you would think the marketing people in bunnings should all over that.

Two posts up spot on i reckon about BBQ galaore's dragon and kamdo joe!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

WarmBeer wrote:
Gotta call B.S. on that!

Agreed about the numbers but we would be small potatoes compared to what they'd need to sell to make they worth stocking. And don't forget, most of the buyers in here got them at the cheap rate. I'd love to know what their actual wholesale cost is.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Probably what killed the Dragon is the Australian dollar exchange rate plunge. BBQG probably looked at the cost to import the next batch of Dragons and the next price to sell and probably worked out too hard to sell for enough profit. We have to remember they were $499 without a defector or cover vs the Akorn at the same price for $499 with a deflector and cover. As a guess when Bunnings bought the Akorn stock the Aussie dollar was pretty high. I suspect that when Bunnings prices the next batch of Akorns it will look too expensive to stock vs the rest of their BBQ range.

The good news is that we have now discovered that like the Big Green Egg you can buy an OEM version way cheaper, now that BBQG has shown the way that Akorn has an OEM version as well, maybe somebody can bring in their "Dragon" to aussie shores. They might also bring in some extra accessories that the existing Akorn and Dragon owners can use to further boost their profits.

When you look at all the accessories you can buy for your name brand Kamados such as Kamado Joe, Primo etc plus the local Smoke Kings BBQs, they add up to generating extra profit for the seller.
Dam

Post by Dam »

Fents wrote:
Ive never seen or heard of anyone on here modding a dragon.

Remember Akorns (and pressumably dragon's) have one of the best factory seals in the kamado game. You can not destroy them, no burning as they are not felt. If the gasket gets hard just pinch it softly all the way round with your fingers and it will come back to shape.

I have tried to mod it

My last one was to block the strange 2cm air gap at the charcoal retainer, letting air to escape to the inner layer.

I wanted to improve the air flow in the charcoal

Success !!!!!!

Flames were rushing out of the top vent, I never cooked pizzas so fast, less than one minute each !!

Some paint has pealed, it was so bloody hot, almost melted it, but it still work fine,I can vouch for the quality of the gaskets !
WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

12x7 wrote:Probably what killed the Dragon is the Australian dollar exchange rate plunge. BBQG probably looked at the cost to import the next batch of Dragons and the next price to sell and probably worked out too hard to sell for enough profit. We have to remember they were $499 without a defector or cover vs the Akorn at the same price for $499 with a deflector and cover. As a guess when Bunnings bought the Akorn stock the Aussie dollar was pretty high. I suspect that when Bunnings prices the next batch of Akorns it will look too expensive to stock vs the rest of their BBQ range.
Looking at a couple of US sites, they usually pay around USD $250 for an Akorn, sometimes as low as $150 on special.

Given the similarity of design, I suspect the Dragon is built in the same, if not adjoining, factory as Akorn. Both units would need to be shipped ex-China.

The only thing preventing any retailer making profit on these things is the so called "Australia Tax".
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

12x7 wrote:Probably what killed the Dragon is the Australian dollar exchange rate plunge. BBQG probably looked at the cost to import the next batch of Dragons and the next price to sell and probably worked out too hard to sell for enough profit. We have to remember they were $499 without a defector or cover vs the Akorn at the same price for $499 with a deflector and cover. As a guess when Bunnings bought the Akorn stock the Aussie dollar was pretty high. I suspect that when Bunnings prices the next batch of Akorns it will look too expensive to stock vs the rest of their BBQ range.
The same issue applies to all their other BBQs though - they all come from the same place!

I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in stores in time for summer but they might not buy so many this time.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

WarmBeer wrote:
Looking at a couple of US sites, they usually pay around USD $250 for an Akorn, sometimes as low as $150 on special.

Given the similarity of design, I suspect the Dragon is built in the same, if not adjoining, factory as Akorn. Both units would need to be shipped ex-China.

The only thing preventing any retailer making profit on these things is the so called "Australia Tax".
I think you are on to something there WarmBeer. If CharGriller was wholesaling the Akorn to the retailers around USD150 you would guess somebody could import an Akorn OEM from the manufacturer and make a decent profit. I guess the killer might be if the minimum quantity was 2,000 units which would be around AUD200-400K depending what the mark-up was.

With BBQG supposed to moving away from Weber unless they are planning to stock another kettle and Weber can't find another major retailer to sell their products there is going to be a hole in the sub $1,000/$500 market for charcoal bbq's. Opportunity for an Akorn clone to fill the gap?

Owning both an Akorn and a KJ I can definitely say that if someone decided to buy an Akorn/Dragon instead of a ceramic to start their charcoal BBQ experience they are off to a very good start.
cheekymonkey

Post by cheekymonkey »

so i'll probably get laughed at, but I have to ask it!
I was just about to purchase a Dragon and then it sold out. what's the chance anyone has a "spare" one, they would like to sell?? and what is the likely hood it's somewhere in South Australia???! :P