Meat cooking 101 (Internal Temperature)

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
BeachedBro

Meat cooking 101 (Internal Temperature)

Post by BeachedBro »

Just wondering if anyone here has ever heard of anyone in Australia getting sick from medium pork? I never have and I cook/eat mine with a blush of pink in the middle. I worked on the Australian Pork account for over 3 yrs back in the early 2000s and the whole advertising/marketing campaign was don't over cook it as it's more tender and juicy. Aus Pork limited did research of course and found that Australian pigs don't have the same issue as over seas pigs when it comes to disease etc.

I don't think they would've told us to go ahead and tell Australia to eat pork medium if it was going to make us sick. Massive law suit right there.

Just sayin.
Bentley

Re: Meat cooking 101 (Internal Temperature)

Post by Bentley »

I try and serve my pork loin at about 150°...so pulling at about 143-145°. Just a blush of color dead center...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

We cook Pork Fillet to Rare at BBQ School.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

urbangriller wrote:I do Salmon in BBQ School to 60C.

At 45C bacterial growth slows but does not stop.

And even going over 75C (which will kill bacteria) won't get rid of the toxins the bacteria have manufactured....it's the toxins not the bacteria that are the issue.

Cheers
Chris
I cook salmon fillets a lot. Buy from a fish monger. Sometimes we'll slice em up raw and eat them as sashimi. Else i'll do it crispy skin style, but without flipping it. Inside is somewhere between blue/rare. Never get sick from it.
Banksea

Post by Banksea »

I buy salmon fresh but then always cryovac + freeze it , even before I brine it. I normally buy a whole salmon.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hi Bentley,

Yes, Duck is Fowl, and yes served Medium, it's a dark meat (and it is fantastic!), most people try to keep as much moisture in it as they can.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bronson

Post by Bronson »

Would be a good topic to make a sticky ?