Using a Chimney to start Heat Beads

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Bob S

Re: Using a Chimney to start Heat Beads

Post by Bob S »

I've had good luck using one Weber fire starter cube to kick off a chimney full of charcoal. I've also used a cotton ball dipped in Vaseline, which works just as well, but is slightly more messy. I'm not sure what heat beads are, but either of the two methods I mentioned would probably work with them as well.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Bob, Heat beads are a briquette shaped a bit like a square pillow and is made from fine brown coal which is bonded together by vegetable starches http://www.heatbeads.com.au/

I like them because they are reliable, trustworthy heat source and easy to control.

Lump charcoal is good but a bit hit n miss...pending on timber source that it's made from.

I used my weber performer with a half chimney of heatbeads for some tri-tip tonight....it was real good.....first time I've cooked tri-tip so I wasn't sure about my first approach but I know what to do now.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Bob S wrote:I've had good luck using one Weber fire starter cube to kick off a chimney full of charcoal. I've also used a cotton ball dipped in Vaseline, which works just as well, but is slightly more messy. I'm not sure what heat beads are, but either of the two methods I mentioned would probably work with them as well.
Hi Bob,

Heat Beads are our version of Kingsford, unfortunately they are made with Coal dust, so they have their limitations.

Regards
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!