Peach Paper or Red Butchers paper

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
alokin123

Post by alokin123 »

hoddo

Re: Peach Paper or Red Butchers paper

Post by hoddo »

there is a good review by Jars on the aussie pitmasters forum
alokin123

Post by alokin123 »

hoddo wrote:there is a good review by Jars on the aussie pitmasters forum
Thanks, i just looked it up. So would this work for ribs as well or just brisket?
mb403

Post by mb403 »

I have used it on beef ribs but not pork as yet. Acts in a similar way to the brisket does when bagged. Ie the results in jars review. Hope that helps

OCAU.COM & AUSSIEPITMASTERS Forum Member
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Plain brown paper from BigW is what I use.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

I found fish and chip paper at a local cash and carry, the verdict is still out tho. A little moister than no wrap, better bark than a foil wrap.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Muppet wrote:I found fish and chip paper at a local cash and carry, the verdict is still out tho. A little moister than no wrap, better bark than a foil wrap.
You can use both Foil and Paper.

Foil will react with the acid on the meat surface, it's worse with a "BIG" rub, if that is happening, wrap in paper, then foil, this is particularly good for 321

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Nath

Post by Nath »

urbangriller wrote:Plain brown paper from BigW is what I use.
Doesn't it just turn to paper mâché?
I always though the brown paper like franklin used must have been slightly waxed. Can buy "newsprint" paper at cash and carry I was thinking of giving that a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
eltaco

Post by eltaco »

Digging up this old thread, because I've been tempted to try wrapping in paper but not really sure that I want to spring for the Oren stuff.

As far as I can tell it's just normal unbleached Kraft paper at 60gsm, is there anything I'm missing?

I was thinking about ordering some of this and having a go https://wrsorora.com.au/products/9kraft760-kraft-paper

Any thoughts?
C.B & S.

Post by C.B & S. »

Hi Eltaco & welcome,
Personally I don't use either, just a good quadrupple wrap in foil.
From my knowledge your on the mark with the kraft 60gsm.....I may have seen mention of 80??
Save your money for other goodies! I do know people who use baking paper then foil wrap that.
Good luck.
"Keeping Smoking Simple" (c)
Aldi Smoker. Camp Chef 18" Smoke Vault/ Masterbuilt Thermo-Temp XL--( All Gas )
Z & B 4 burner Turbo Classic
Maverick ET-7/72.Thermoworx Smoke
Yoder Kingsman & Other BBQ gear for HIRE.

eltaco

Post by eltaco »

Cheers CB&S,

Yeah I usually just go the foil myself, but sometimes it seems to turn my brisket bark to mush.. not always though so I'm not sure what the go is there, maybe to do with how much moisture is left in the meat before it gets wrapped I suppose.

I'm pretty sure the Oren stuff is 60gsm equivalent (40 pounds in USA-speak). It's funny you should mention 80gsm though, as I was sort of leaning that way myself because 60gsm seems pretty light on to me considering that the average A4 printer paper is usually 80gsm.

Decisions decisions. There's plenty of 80gsm unbleached kraft paper around and about, might have to give some a go on a brisket this weekend.
eltaco

Post by eltaco »

Thought I should update this post. I ended up buying the massive roll of 65gsm kraft paper from WRS Orora, and it seemed work perfectly :D

I didn't really need to wrap it though because for whatever reason this 7kg brisket cooked in about 6 hours without a wrap.

At 6am I just shut the air down on the UDS and left it until 10am, temp had dropped a bit so this is when I wrapped it, then put it back on the UDS at full blast for about an hour before taking it off, wrapping the whole thing in towel and throwing it in the esky.

Ended up eating at about 4pm, and it was probably the best brisket I've done in the end. Paper meant the bark stayed crispy too. 5 stars for the rangers valley black onyx.
Noony

Post by Noony »

eltaco wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:57 am Thought I should update this post. I ended up buying the massive roll of 65gsm kraft paper from WRS Orora, and it seemed work perfectly :D

I didn't really need to wrap it though because for whatever reason this 7kg brisket cooked in about 6 hours without a wrap.

At 6am I just shut the air down on the UDS and left it until 10am, temp had dropped a bit so this is when I wrapped it, then put it back on the UDS at full blast for about an hour before taking it off, wrapping the whole thing in towel and throwing it in the esky.

Ended up eating at about 4pm, and it was probably the best brisket I've done in the end. Paper meant the bark stayed crispy too. 5 stars for the rangers valley black onyx.
Yep everything from Orora is good. I'm going to pick some up this week and give it a go.

Brisket looks great btw. Nice Bark.