pork ribs in milk?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
alokin123

Re: pork ribs in milk?

Post by alokin123 »

Smokey wrote:No such thing as a stupid question here mate.
Butter milk is just soured milk, a cooler sister to yogurt in the the lacto strain works at romm temp and yogurt starter works at a higher temp, I think 44c but don't quote me on that.
The small cup of store bought buttermilk feeds on the whole milk and turns the lot into buttermilk in around 24 hours.
The whole lot thickens.
Therefore you can just keep it going every time it gets low or after a few weeks in the fridge.
ok, so i notice you say mix the butter milk with just some normal milk and then put in the pantry for 24 hours.
A few questions:

1. Should the milk be refrigerated milk or the long life milk that doesn't come refrigerated?
2. Could i use Goats milk?
3. The buttermilk is refrigerated, is it safe to leave on the shelf when mixed with milk?
4. Could i potentially add something like Mad Hunkeys brine? Would i need to add any extra water or something?

I have never done this before so just want to make sure i do this properly.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

alokin123 wrote:
Smokey wrote:No such thing as a stupid question here mate.
Butter milk is just soured milk, a cooler sister to yogurt in the the lacto strain works at romm temp and yogurt starter works at a higher temp, I think 44c but don't quote me on that.
The small cup of store bought buttermilk feeds on the whole milk and turns the lot into buttermilk in around 24 hours.
The whole lot thickens.
Therefore you can just keep it going every time it gets low or after a few weeks in the fridge.
ok, so i notice you say mix the butter milk with just some normal milk and then put in the pantry for 24 hours.
A few questions:

1. Should the milk be refrigerated milk or the long life milk that doesn't come refrigerated?
USE NORMAL COLD WHOLE MILK,
2. Could i use Goats milk?
NEVER DONE THAT BUT PROBABLY! ID USE A DIRECT SET BUTTER MILK STARTER RATHER THEN COW BUTTERMILK AS A STARTER?
3. The buttermilk is refrigerated, is it safe to leave on the shelf when mixed with milk?
YES, ANYWHERE BETWEEN 22C TO 30C FOR TWELVE HOURS OR UNTIL COAGULATED.
4. Could i potentially add something like Mad Hunkeys brine? Would i need to add any extra water or something?
CANNOT SPEAK FOR MAD HUNKY. HE USES PHOSPHATES AND HAVE NO IDEA IF IT COMPATIBLE WITH FAT SOLIDS. I MAKE A BRINE WITH SALT AND FLAVOURS AND TREAT THE BUTTERMILK THE SAME AS WATER. SO NO WATER IS NEEDED.

I have never done this before so just want to make sure i do this properly.
It's easy as, Once you've made it and put in the fridge it will sepporate so just shake it befor use.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
alokin123

Post by alokin123 »

cool thanks for the tips, this is definitely something i want to try