The great steak dilemma

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
pierre

The great steak dilemma

Post by pierre »

After many years of successfully grilling a steak turning it only once, cook one side then the other one, I have noticed there is a new wave of cooks, namely Jamie Oliver and Fast Ed from BHAG among others, who say to turn the steak religiously every minute. The reason for doing that makes no sense to me but that's it. After mocking my father in law for years for doing that, and every other of the bbq tong compulsive, I have now keep it to myself. What's your view about this :?:
Gumb

Re: The great steak dilemma

Post by Gumb »

I turn them all the time. I can't see why not. Meat on a rottie goes around and that works a treat keeping the juices in.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

I aim for the maillard reaction. I usually flip it 3 times in the 6-10 minutes it takes to cook. I have yet to try the reverse sear method, but I hear that's the shiznick.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Blumenthal changed the thinking on this when he did this show.
chilling while grilling
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I like the theory but steak in a fry pan, sorry, no way. :(
pierre

Post by pierre »

The way that english guy cooks his steak I stay away, same for Gordon. Oil in the pan and then the meat? Not in my house 8)
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

In fairness to the poms it rain s a lot so indoor cooking is the norm.

But the new theory of flipping was started there.
Seems resting is the most important,though.
chilling while grilling
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I'd agree with that. Plus rain makes your fur coat all wet.
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

No dilemma, know your BBQs temp, the feel of done-ness, turn once and rest on its side. Next.
Bear

The great steak dilemma

Post by Bear »

Card Shark wrote:No dilemma, know your BBQs temp, the feel of done-ness, turn once and rest on its side. Next.
+1

Know your equipment, buy quality products, practice your technique and always be willing to learn
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

There's science in everything Blumenthal does. Before knocking his steak process I'd take time to consider it carefully. A pan will provide consistent heat to the entire surface of the meat it is in contact with. The oil will give it a flash of heat also. Turning frequently keeps the steak from overcooking.
If all that adds up to a great maillard reaction then it would be a winner in my book. If you want a bit of the smokey flavour you could do the above after a reverse sear. Unless there's a good argument against, which has to be better than "pan" or "oil". :P
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Heston turns his steak every 15 seconds or so like a madman, he's trying to heat it evenly, when you turn a steak you loose heat from the top side, he's trying to minimise heat loss.....he's obviously also not heard about reverse sear! :roll: :roll:

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
pierre

Post by pierre »

the pan is probably better than the common, flat aussie bbq, the oil in the pan is a no no because it will make lots of smoke, it's better to oil the meat, of course we can say I like it like I like it but that kills any kind of discussion
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

urbangriller wrote:Heston turns his steak every 15 seconds or so like a madman, he's trying to heat it evenly, when you turn a steak you loose heat from the top side, he's trying to minimise heat loss.....he's obviously also not heard about reverse sear! :roll: :roll:

Chris
I wonder if he's heard about bbq with the lid down
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

urbangriller wrote:Heston turns his steak every 15 seconds or so like a madman, he's trying to heat it evenly, when you turn a steak you loose heat from the top side, he's trying to minimise heat loss.....Chris
I must admit that's not what I got from the video at all. He says that the flipping allows the outside to stay hot enough to form a crust without overcooking the inside. I think he is intending to keep the heat mainly on the surface of the meat. I was thinking that this might be a really good method to use in conjunction with a reverse sear. What do you think?