Storing brine

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Hefty

Storing brine

Post by Hefty »

Hi all,
I've done a quick search but found nothing that quite fit my question:
How long can you store prepared brine for before using?
I know it's a bit of an "it depends" kind of question, but has anyone got a rough guide on how long you can store unused brine in a fridge once it has cooled to <4*C?
Also, can you freeze it and then defrost as needed?

Cheers!
Jono.
Last edited by Hefty on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nath

Re: Storng brine

Post by Nath »

Hefty wrote:Hi all,
I've done a quick search but found nothing that quite fit my question:
How long can you store prepared brine for before using?
I know it's a bit of an "it depends" kind of question, but has anyone got a rough guide on how long you can store unused brine in a fridge once it has cooled to <4*C?
Also, can you freeze it and then defrost as needed?

Cheers!
Jono.
You may have trouble freezing it because of the high salt content.
What brine recipe are you using?
I don't heat up my brine recipe?
Nath
Hefty

Post by Hefty »

Haven't used a recipe yet! :) Still new to all this so I've been reading up and I'm gonna try one this week. We're fairly time poor so it's more about having time to mix up a brine but not necessarily having it at the time when I need to put the meat in it, at the right amount of time before I need to cook it!
I had read that some people boil their solution to help with dissolution and to take up flavours of added spices etc.

Cheers!
Jono.
gussigan

Post by gussigan »

I would just mix up all your dry brine ingredients and store that - then just mix up a batch of brine as it's needed
Nath

Post by Nath »

gussigan wrote:I would just mix up all your dry brine ingredients and store that - then just mix up a batch of brine as it's needed
Great idea Gus.

Just add water.
Nath
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Salt + Water I make brines all the time, none have ever taken more that 2 minutes to make. If you are using an excess of salt you'll have trouble. If you are using a spice and herb mix you could make a concentrate and store that.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Hefty

Post by Hefty »

Fair enuff, thanks guys! Yeah, I realise a simple salt and water brine won't take long but I was thinking more about brine that has had spice flavours boiled into it. I'll start simple and do one "live" so to speak, for now.
Hefty

Post by Hefty »

Well, we brined some chicken thigh pieces yesterday. 1 Tbsp of salt and < 1/2 tsp of Chinese five spice per litre (3 litres covered the pieces in the container I had) for an hour and a half. Spent the rest ofthe day in the fridge to dry the skin, then grilled on the weber until 83*C. They were some of the best grilled chicken pieces I've ever had!! Such a simple process! Didn't even heat the brine to dissolve. Just stirred the salt and the five spice in, pour over, refrigerate for an hour and a half, job done.
Cheers to all!
Jono.
urbangriller

Re:

Post by urbangriller »

Hefty wrote:Well, we brined some chicken thigh pieces yesterday. 1 Tbsp of salt and < 1/2 tsp of Chinese five spice per litre (3 litres covered the pieces in the container I had) for an hour and a half. Spent the rest ofthe day in the fridge to dry the skin, then grilled on the weber until 83*C. They were some of the best grilled chicken pieces I've ever had!! Such a simple process! Didn't even heat the brine to dissolve. Just stirred the salt and the five spice in, pour over, refrigerate for an hour and a half, job done.
Cheers to all!
Jono.
Try leaving them overnight to get the full benefit of the brine, then dry them.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Groovy Gorilla

Re: Storing brine

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

It shouldn't be necessary to store brine unless you have a Wiltshire cure thats full of salt loving bacteria, a "living brine".( sort of like a sourdough brine)
More for traditional Ham, Bacon and Gammon making.
chilling while grilling
Hefty

Re: Re:

Post by Hefty »

urbangriller wrote:
Hefty wrote:Well, we brined some chicken thigh pieces yesterday. 1 Tbsp of salt and < 1/2 tsp of Chinese five spice per litre (3 litres covered the pieces in the container I had) for an hour and a half. Spent the rest ofthe day in the fridge to dry the skin, then grilled on the weber until 83*C. They were some of the best grilled chicken pieces I've ever had!! Such a simple process! Didn't even heat the brine to dissolve. Just stirred the salt and the five spice in, pour over, refrigerate for an hour and a half, job done.
Cheers to all!
Jono.
Try leaving them overnight to get the full benefit of the brine, then dry them.

Chris
Will give it a try. Just didn't want to overdo it the first time and put the wife off the idea :lol:
I wasn't sure about times as some articles said that for pieces 1-2 hours was sufficient where others just mentioned poultry and suggested much longer.