Burnt Meat or is just me?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
BeachedBro

Burnt Meat or is just me?

Post by BeachedBro »

Everyone knows that burnt meat is bad for you. I've noticed on a lot of pics on this forum and elsewhere in American style BBQ or low and slow that meat (Brisket, Pulled pork etc) looks burnt on the outside. Is this just the rub burning ? And if so is that not the same in terms of carcinogens ?

Thanks
beaver

Post by beaver »

If you are health conscious then I think you are hanging out in the wrong place ;)

Yea, the black stuff on the outside (bark) is a mixture of caramelized sugar, smoke particulate and the mailard effect on the meat.
Pretty much none of these are beneficial to your health.

*inserts sales pitch*
The George Forman is a lean mean fat killing machine.
You can take a lovely piece of marbled ribera and proceed to completely remove all fats, flavour and pretty much every other possible thing that was tasty in said piece of meat and turn it into a Grey piece of rubber

(Joking of course)

Let's be a little more serious.
Pretty much anything you cook over charcoal or fire will mostly make said protein or veggie "less good for you" but like most things in life "if it tastes good its probably not good for you"

There are things you can do to reduce how bad these things are for you.

Lower salt/sugar in your rubs.
Cleaner burning fuel (thin blue smoke as apposed to thick white smoke) and wrapping your meat (Texas crutch) which essentially braises/steams for the remainder of the cook.
Smokey

Re: Burnt Meat or is just me?

Post by Smokey »

Yeh, agree.
That and I don't cook brisket or pulled pork that often. Most meals are truly healthy as I'm also feeding my two boys and beloved wife. If my every now and then dabble into grilled meats or long cooked and barked up meat kills me ?
let everyone know here that I had fun eating it with family and friends.
I'm also not a large portion eater and regulate with a lot of fruit and vedge preferably as raw as possible.
I have over the years become less gun hoe with what I do on the Cue.
Now I try to get light golden brown rather then blackened .
Bloody hard to do and makes me cry at cutting out flame sear being it so tastey and all.
The obvious answer is moderation and just listen to your body..
Or rather listen to your cravings . If you crave sweet? Eat fruit and so on. If you crave stodge, have a lean steak or skinless chicken portion. One day a week only eat a huge salad with a few anchovies and feta to fool the protein addiction.
I also listen to my wife's needs and am happy to piggy back and go along with her wants, they are always healthy.
Then every now and then we can enjoy one of Smokey Micks crazy cook ups :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au