Wet bulb temperature, the stall, and some further thoughts.

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
MrT

Re: Re:

Post by MrT »

urbangriller wrote:And that's why we have steam ovens in commercial kitchens, you can control the humidity to where you want it.
Precisely.
Jester wrote:From what I've seen its the opposite - higher humidity slows and makes for a longer stall. The lower the temp, the bigger the difference.
This is all other things being held equal, including the dry air temp (ie the temp that your thermometer says). I'm assuming that if you add a water pan, you also adjust the vents so that the temp is still at 110, or whatever you're aiming for.

But you have raised an interesting question Jester. Maybe the stall isn't shorter with a humid environment, but it certainly would be stalling at a higher temperature... The meat will stall (equalise) at the wet bulb temp until it is effectively no longer a wet object, at which point it will climb and then 'stall' (equalise) at the dry air temp. If the wet and try temps are the same (100% humidity), there will be no initial stall, only the second 'stall' at the air temp.

I guess my point all along has been to challenge the perception that you simply cook your meat to a target temp (say 95 degrees), and just ride out the stall. If we understand what the stall is and how meat cooks and becomes tender, this may not be the best approach. I particularly want to challenge the perception that there is something virtuous in riding out the stall, and that people who wrap their brisket in foil are being impatient. Maybe they just don't want a dry brisket...
the dane

Re: Wet bulb temperature, the stall, and some further though

Post by the dane »

do not let our wife's read this thread! this will be there excuse, when they stuff dinner up the next time:|

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Jester

Re: Wet bulb temperature, the stall, and some further though

Post by Jester »

I agree - its a really good subject. If you get a chance to look at the smoking section in the full set of modernist cuisine its a great read.
Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!