Dry rub Curing (Bacon)

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Smokey

Dry rub Curing (Bacon)

Post by Smokey »

A well known cure availabe in Australia is "Kwikurit" made by Eade&May, Its 11% Nitrite.
The manufacturers Usage is;
For Brine - 30 gms (3 level Tbs) to 4.5 lt brine
For cooked smallgoods - 60 gms (6 level Tbs) to 45kg finished block

Taking from that @ 60gm per 45kg of salami meat = 1.33 grams per kilo
30 gms per 4.5lt of brine = 6.66 grams per Litre of brine

So how then do we arrive at the correct amount per cup of 50/50 dry salt /sugar mix for dry rub brining ?

My thoughts are that the dry rub turns to liquid and becomes a brine anyway. There would on average only be a cup of liquid in the bag.(Maybe less? only going on memory)
So if there are 4 cups per litre, That would give me around 1.66 gms of total Kwikurit product to support that one cup.

I hope that we can chin wag this to get a safe level for Dry rub curing and come up with a standard.

SM
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Smokey

Re: Dry rub Curing (Bacon)

Post by Smokey »

OK, I just got off the phone to Butcher at home, They say that my rekoning is correct of 1.66gms per cup of salt/sugar
So their Bacon recepie if way out of whack.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Smokey Mick wrote:OK, I just got off the phone to Butcher at home, They say that my rekoning is correct of 1.66gms per cup of salt/sugar
So their Bacon recepie if way out of whack.
Love your work Mick!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

The plot thickens, and DUH, I forgot this, You dont rub a whole cup of salt and sugar onto a one kg Belly. :roll:
Gnol had it right in the other thread as his works out to be 1.7 gms after conversion to Kwikurit per KG of belly.
I can sort this now,,,, well later
gnol

Post by gnol »

I'll post my method here as well.

as mentioned earlier I use the methods printed in the book Chacauterie and have had no problems so far.

This is directly from the book.

Basic dry cure
1pound/450gm Kosher salt (I used shock horror "normal" salt)
8 ounces/225 gm sugar
2 ounces/50gm pink salt ( pink salt is a combination containing 93.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite) which is what you are getting by the sounds of it.

NOW

For every 5 pounds/2.25kg of meat you use 2 ounces/50 grams of the basic cure.
So for example if I have 2x1kg piece I will use about 22-23gms per 1 kg.

Cure it in a bag for a week then smoke it using the method on the Redback Trading site.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

"NOW

For every 5 pounds/2.25kg of meat you use 2 ounces/50 grams of the basic cure.
So for example if I have 2x1kg piece I will use about 22-23gms per 1 kg."

Thanks Gnol, That works out to 3.4 gms of 6.25% pink salt per Kilo, 1.7 gms of Kuikurit when you round them out.

What this recepie http://www.butcherathome.com.au/category/curing-recipes Doesnt tell is that its enough for 6.25 KG of belly.
One cannot add that to an one or two KG Slab

So the Redback recipie that I have mainly followed is the more accurate.
However if using Kuikurit the amount added needs to be basicly halved
Burnt offerings

Post by Burnt offerings »

The mathematicians out there can correct me if I am wrong here!

A simple formula to work out how much curing salt is required per kg (dry cure)

14.9 ÷ (% of stated cure) = the required grams of cure per kg.

Eg:
14.9 ÷ 11 = 1.354gm per kg (Kwikurit)
14.9 ÷ 6.25 = 2.38gm per kg (US cure # 1, etc)

This works to be very close, within a couple of % to what is required in milligrams of sodium nitrate per kg.

Let me know if I'm way off the mark.

I hope this will help a little.

Regards,

Warren
GMG Daniel Boon WiFi, Weber OTG, ProQ Excel 20, small generic kettle, other BBQ stuff.
I like BBQ stuff!
2014 Commonwealth Games Gold medal winner!
World shooting Champion.
5 time Olympian.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Cleva fella :lol: Thats it, but where does 14.9 come from? A Tablespoon in grams?
Burnt offerings

It came from a few calculations from the recommended amount (grams) of cure per kg stated from the manufactures.

They ranged from 147 to 151 milligrams of sodium nitrite per kg, then I averaged them, which came to 149, hence, I used 14.9 to divide by.

Fairly simple I think.

Regards,

Warren
GMG Daniel Boon WiFi, Weber OTG, ProQ Excel 20, small generic kettle, other BBQ stuff.
I like BBQ stuff!
World shooting Champion.
5 time Olympian.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Thanks Warren, I wish I listened more at school. :lol:
Shayne Id really like your take on this and what ever formula you have to support or argue?
And anyone else with something to say chime in as I intend to write a standard that ha been debated by all to arrive at a "Place"

Lets sort the nitrites out and then we will get stuck into the best way the backyarder with a kettle or better can smoke / cook a bacon.
Burnt offerings

Here is an excerpt from an American Meat Institute paper;

"By contrast, the amount of nitrite allowed by
USDA to be added to cured meats is miniscule at no more than 156 parts per million. In most cases, the amount added is 120 parts per million or less and after processing the amount remaining in the final product is typically 10 parts per million or less. This amount is approximately one-fifth the level of 25 years ago."

Here is a link to the paper;

http://www.meatami.com/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/44170

There are other sites I have read, just about all of them are American and work on 156 parts per million.

In which case I would adjust my formula to 15 divided by the percentage number (I was close with my calculations), this would give us a nitrite level of 150ppm.

This would give all of us an easy number to remember for calculations and a little room for error!

eg, 15 ÷ 6.25 (cure #1, Prag powder etc) = 2.4 grams for 1kg of meat.

eg, for a 1.350kg piece of meat would be: 15 ÷ 6.25 x 1.350 = 3.24 grams of cure

The salt I use is 22 grams per kg
The sugar I use is 8 grams per kg

I know others will use more or less salt and sugar percentages in their recipes.

I read somewhere of a minimum of 100ppm to a maximum of 200 ppm of nitrite by one of the national authorities.

I hope this will help you write up a standard.

I think I'm in the ballpark!

I'll leave it up to you.

Sorry if I have waffled on too much!

Regards,

Warren
I like BBQ stuff!
World shooting Champion.
5 time Olympian.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Reason I like to wet cure. I know that all ingredients are going to disperse evenly in solution. I don't have to worry did I get to much cure on this spot of meat and not enough on that spot.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

gnol

Post by gnol »

Ok.
I posted this over in Busios bacon thread last night but and I'll post it here in the interests of solving this one once and for all.

All very interesting and it would be good to clarify exactly what amounts should be used.
As far as I can see if a book published in America where they have very strict guidelines about the use of nitrite has been allowed to be sold for so long with that recipe in it then it should be fine.

BUT
I have just done a quick search and according to,the USDA which is responsible for the proper use of nitrites by meat processors the maximum allowed in a dry cure is 200 ppm. Now I am not sure if this is only on a commercial level or all levels.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsi ... y/CT_Index

Shayne, where are you getting these figures from? Not having a go. Just want to genuinely solve this.
BTW. I'm hopeless at maths. And at science I should add.
Remember, studies have been carried out in the US and the max permissible Nitrite level in commercial Bacon has been fixed at 625ppm. I have not found any info on what the Aus standards are....... but trust the US research.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I think we maybe talking two different things...ppm in THE cure and ppm in THE meat...are they the same thing? And I know I run the risk of looking like an idiot, cuz it is probably impossible to get 625ppm into meat when there are only 200ppm in the cure, but this is what I excel at!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Burnt offerings

I was talking in the meat, ie, 1,000,000 milligram = 1kg

Regards,

Warren
I like BBQ stuff!
World shooting Champion.
5 time Olympian.