Dry rub Curing (Bacon)

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Bentley

Re: Dry rub Curing (Bacon)

Post by Bentley »

Wish I could help! It has been so long since I Dry Cured, don't even remember the ratios...I did go an figure out my % proportions for my Wet Cure, I am not sure since it is Wet that it translates...
I am so dumb, I have never got the difference between, see I don't even know how to articulate it, I it weight and volume? A cup of salt or 11 ounces (312gr) are the same. Same with the sugar. I use 1/4 cup of Modern Cure#1 (I cant measure that low) but am assuming since it is 1/4 cup, it is roughly 3 ounces or 85gr.

I use one gallon (3.8lt) water
1 cup/11 oz (312gr)/Salt
1 cup/11 oz. (312gr)Sugar
1/4 cup/3oz. (85gr)Cure#1

According to your calculator my ratios are

For my 5445gr (12lbs) of meat, it tells me that I am 6% Salt n Sugar and 900 PPM Nitrates

Sweet Suzie, no fricken wonder I just mix it up and soak it for 2 weeks!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

wedwards

Post by wedwards »

skuzy wrote:heres a picture of exactly what iam struglging with

for a 1.4kg piece of meat, this is the rub calculated to the nth degree lol.

honestly does not look like much

am i way off track here?

Cant remember if I responded to this thread, so apologies if I did. My starting recipe for bacon is as follows;

2lb pork belly

1/2 cup brown sugar/maple syrup
1/4 cup salt
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp ground bay leaf
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp sodium nitrite

Mix ingredients well in bowl
Put pork belly in zip lock bag and evenly coat entire thing
Seal bag up with no air
Leave for 6 days in fridge and turn every day
After 6 days, take out of bag and wash in cold water
Soak in water for 1 hour
Pat dry and let dry in fridge for an hour or 2 until it gets sticky on outside
Cold smoke for 4 or 5 hours to taste (or hot smoke until temp reaches 150F)

NOTE : If hot smoking only, can omit nitrite and pour liquid out each day and add a sprinkle of salt each day for 5 days, then smoke.

Based on my eyeballing the size of your meat and the amount of cure you have, it looks about right. Usually I have about 1 cup of cure including herbs and spices, per pork belly from Aldi (about 1.5kgs or thereabouts).
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Oh, and just rub the cure over the meat roughly and then throw it all (including any leftover cure you measured out) into a snaplock bag. Youll be surprised how much liquid gets pulled out of it even after just a few hours. The idea is that the belly will sit in that curing liquid for a number of days. So whilst it doesnt look like you start with much, its more than enough. Dont be inclined to add more curing salt than suggested, as its nasty stuff. If your bacon ever makes your tongue tingle a little, throw it out because you've used too much curing salts and you don't want to damage your liver or kidneys or whatever.