Meat size vs Cooking time

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

I'm cooking some pulled pork for a party this weekend and need some advice
I have 4 cuts of pork forequarter
1x 4.5kg,
1x 5kg
1x 6kg
I'm hoping to put them on at the same time and take them off at the same time
I'll be using a WSM and a couple of kettles
I aim to cook them at 225-250f and take them off at about 200f internal
Am I best off cutting the 2 bigger pieces in half to get a more consistent cooking time?
I was planning a 12hr cook , will this be long enough?
Last edited by Hogsy on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
urbangriller

Re: Meat size vs Cooking time

Post by urbangriller »

Well, the bad news is with Low and Slow every cut will cook differently as they have different collagen percentages, even the left and right side of the same animal are different! 90(ish) percent of cattle rest on their left side, meaning the right side works harder, they also tend to the right side when turning and stopping. So the Left side is generally more supple and better marbled than the Right! Also you have differing weights which will cook out to different times!

The good news is it behaves well during resting, so start early, and rest them as they are done, it won't matter if the first one off rests for four or five hours!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Cheers Chris
I was kinda expecting that answer
I know you can't be too specific but would 2x 3kg cuts cook quicker than 1x 6kg in the same BBQ ?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Well, I would guess the 6kg will be longer, the 2 smaller cuts have greater bone percentage and a thinner meat covering. Too many variables!

Cheers
Chris
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Hogsy you are torturing yourself.
You really need to open the plan up and give yourself way more time and less stress.
Yes you could cut the two big ones down but even still allow up to 16 hours of cooking time and up to four hours of foiling / resting.
I would be doing it all on the WSM as this will cut out a variable.
Its also your best bet for an overnight cook and getting some sleep.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Yeah your right Mick, I am torturing myself and probably over thinking it
Ok here's the deal, lunch needs to be served at 12:30 on Saturday , pork is currently in the brine, i plan on removing it from the brine tomorrow morning before work and giving it a rub. I don't get home from work till 4pm tomorrow at best I'll have the WSM up to temp by 5pm. Which leaves me 19 1/2 hours before lunch.... I was just hoping by cutting the pork in half I might shave an hour or two off the cooking time......Hmmmm might have too see if I can shoot home at lunch and kick the WSM over :?
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

That is no problem, Just get home, Have a beer and spark her up.
Have dinner and then start your cook.
In the morning it will have passed the stall.
Choke it down if you need to slow things up. The meat can only get as hot as the bbq (Remember that)
In other words your parking.
By mid morning you should be taking falling apart meat off.
And most of all ,, Have fun and take pics
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Thanks Mick and Chris, I'll let you know how I get on
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Just like a snowflake...They are done when they are done. You could foil the larger ones when they are about 60°c and they would probably finish closer to the small, but it is still a ready when they are ready thing!
urbangriller wrote:Well, the bad news is with Low and Slow every cut will cook differently as they have different collagen percentages...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Mick is right!

We are always trying to cook so that the food comes off the BBQ and lands on the plate! The real joy of low and slow is the ability to park or even re-heat!...take the stress out!

Chris
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

dude, you have that many 'qs that you can put one piece on each one and intermitted times.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Zorba wrote:dude, you have that many 'qs that you can put one piece on each one and intermitted times.
Yeah there's no worries with space, I'm more concerned with timing
I've cooked pulled pork heaps of times but I haven't cooked such large cuts before, plus its for a mates engagement party and I don't want to be running late
Anyway I took them out of the brine this morning and gave them a rub before work
greeny03

Post by greeny03 »

I'm with UG! If they finish 60-90 mins early.... Less pressure! Some might need that extra time. At least the ones that are on time can be kept and served up. Worst case some might need longer and the meal gets stretched a little longer. With that much you might find the ones still cooking are just for people to have seconds or even thirds lol. Only guessing on portion size and some people(me!) will eat more and others less!
Go earlier and be prepared to maybe have to reheat as UG stated. Will be better than the natives getting restless and hungry. Only my opinion
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Start the engines Hogsy, With a full load and let it settle. In one hour the meat goes on.
If you choose to only use the wsm, Just cram them in. They dont have to sit flat.
Observe till bed time
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Smokey Mick wrote:Start the engines Hogsy, With a full load and let it settle. In one hour the meat goes on.
If you choose to only use the wsm, Just cram them in. They dont have to sit flat.
Observe till bed time
....and take photos!

Chris