Props for bbq photography

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ive been meaning to go out and buy a small set of nice plates and a few saucers etc purley to lift my game in presentaiton when we have comps or just show and tell.
MossyMo made a comment on WDYC that got me thinking.
What does make a good plate for pics?
I do have a wedding wedgwood set but they are all white and wash out in pics.
All my day to day stuff is cheap corningwear
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
kendoll

Re: Props for bbq photography

Post by kendoll »

You mean my generic grey Ikea plates don't top the list? :D Not even the chipped one?

There are some classic/retro looking coloured plates that have BBQ/grill images on them. Look interesting but not really 'classy' if you get what I mean.

What kind of look are you going for?

Ken
Ken
overspiceddave

Post by overspiceddave »

I see what you mean with MossyMo's black plate. It certainly made a good contrast but you couldnt quite make out the bark properly. Yet the white one loses a bit in the other direction.

Maybe something dark that still allows you to distinguish the Bark.

Dave
donburke

Post by donburke »

the scene of dark brown cooked meat against a brilliant white plate is a large contrast, most likely beyond the dynamic range of even the best modern camera sensors

if you have access to any photo editing software, you could under expose the scene so as to not blow the highlights and then lift the mid range and shadows post processing

try to use only ambient light, move the plate around your light source to avoid deep shadows or bright reflective glare

experiment using a desk lamp with a frosted bulb, or cover the front with some tissue paper to diffuse the light (careful not to burn the tissue paper), keep moving the light source around in different places and see what the outcome is, this can make a tremendous difference

as an alternative, an antipasto board makes a great backdrop, the grain of the wooden board can compliment the grain of the meat
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Cheers,
Im not really into photography and Im up for a new camera so I want to keep it simple.
I will be looking for a wide angle as that is also useful in my job. Water proof is also good for recreation.

Ken, I like the look of the weaved glass that Amfibius uses but obviously want to be different.

Dave, Yeh it will have to be some sort of compromise. There are a lot of colours between white and black :shock:

Don, I only use basic windows tools in pictures after I download them, And Ive only just started using that.

I might start paying attention to what is in women's magazines,,,,, Titch can you send up a few from your extensive library? :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
beermee

Post by beermee »

I agree with a wooden board for sure...

Also, I like the vintage look - so I think accessories like old knives, bone handled knives, aluminium or cast iron pans, etc would look great.

Excuse the photography, here's some of my props:

(ps. the glass of stout isn't a prop)
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

magste

Post by magste »

Simplistically I guess the plate can be used to either present the dish without interference or help enhance the dish by adding colour and contrast.

A white plate and light neutral background will allow the food to play center stage. Then it's up to choosing the right angle to photograph and presenting the food on the plate.

A (not too dark) colour plate can emphasize aspects of the dish (especially deserts). For ex a blue plate will enhance a yellow sorbet or a green plate highlight a raspberry tart or cheesecake.

In my opinion plates should not have too much pattern as it confuses the eye.

My problem is that taking BBQ food pics is usually done very quickly because everyone is starving, it's dark outside so you need to use a (bad in my case) flash & the available background is whatever cloth the Mrs has on the table. .. Hence not much photo theory can be put into practice :)
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Lighting and camera setting are a big factor too!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

beachbums

Post by beachbums »

I've always liked the neutral white plate thinking it'd be a plain backdrop for the food but after a read of Dons post I'm starting to rethink it. Thanks Don.

Here's a couple of links that might be worth a look .........

http://drizzleanddip.com/2012/09/18/10- ... hy-styling

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=84Z ... el&f=false

http://www.giamarescotti.com/photograph ... nd-tricks/
talisker63

Post by talisker63 »

Get a copy of Adobe Lightroom. The education addition (need to prove that one person in the house is a student or teacher, I used a copy of my daughters year7 report!) is about $100.

Without doubt the best tool for amateur photographers. Stores and catalogue AND let's you do edits and adjustments. I have thousands of photos in Lightroom and can locate any photo in seconds by searching by date or keyword etc
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

talisker63 wrote:Get a copy of Adobe Lightroom. The education addition (need to prove that one person in the house is a student or teacher, I used a copy of my daughters year7 report!) is about $100.

Without doubt the best tool for amateur photographers. Stores and catalogue AND let's you do edits and adjustments. I have thousands of photos in Lightroom and can locate any photo in seconds by searching by date or keyword etc
Cool I can do that, the missus has a dip ed and is just about finished a masters.
And two kids in primary, so that should work. Just gotta watch how I write it off
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Mick......check out your Op Shop 50c a plate! ....a couple of bucks for a platter!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Yes, I am getting ahead of myself and my limitations :lol:
KISS for me and shopping tomorrow.