Steel Cylinders for American Offset

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
ozchiton

Steel Cylinders for American Offset

Post by ozchiton »

Hi, hope posting an advert is OK, but I have two steel tanks available that would make a great body for a Texas offset. They are 500mm diameter, 1200mm long and 5mm thick.

Never held any chemicals, but do have some copper pipe soldered to the inside. Comes off easy once heated. They need cleaning, but are solid.

Will take $100 Ono each. PM me for details. Pick up only from the Padbury area in Perth. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Steel Cylinders for American Offset

Post by Davo »

I could be wrong but 500mm in diameter isn't really big enough to warrant making into an offset, in fact 500 mm I wouldn't even think it'd be big enough for the offset fire box. Not much height for food imo.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
ozchiton

Post by ozchiton »

Davo wrote:I could be wrong but 500mm in diameter isn't really big enough to warrant making into an offset, in fact 500 mm I wouldn't even think it'd be big enough for the offset fire box. Not much height for food imo.

Davo
50cm diameter is pretty standard. Certainly the size you would find most retail offsets, but these are 5mm steel, not the thin stuff you get at Bunnings etc. Important for heat retention. Horizontal mount, not vertical.

ozchiton

Post by ozchiton »

Also, a BBQ school in Perth bought 8 of these from us a while back. Assume they made BBQs out of them

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

ozchiton wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:57 pm
Davo wrote:I could be wrong but 500mm in diameter isn't really big enough to warrant making into an offset, in fact 500 mm I wouldn't even think it'd be big enough for the offset fire box. Not much height for food imo.

Davo
50cm diameter is pretty standard. Certainly the size you would find most retail offsets, but these are 5mm steel, not the thin stuff you get at Bunnings etc. Important for heat retention. Horizontal mount, not vertical.

OK, fair enough, I stand corrected, I just didn't think they'd accommodate enough vertical space once they are horizontal. They didn't actually look that wide in the picture.....yeah the metal thickness plays a big part in heat retention, some of the cheaper units like in Bunnings etc are very thin. It's why I like the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker in preference to the Pro-Q, similar design and type but the Weber's steel in my books is far superior and to me worth the extra dollars.

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5