Has anyone used the slow n sear?

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
cs_rlewis

Has anyone used the slow n sear?

Post by cs_rlewis »

I notice urbangriller is selling the slow n sear for us aussies, for $255.

Is it really worth it?
How would it differ from say using the snake method for low n slow cooking.

Sometime I have trouble getting my temp to 225F but I think i just have to play around with air vents more on my weber kettle.
Bill44

Re: Has anyone used the slow n sear?

Post by Bill44 »

I'll stick with the Snake myself, I'm not sure the S&S would be quite as adjustable as the snake where you can control the number of beads burning at any time simply by how many rows you build the snake out of. Sometimes I use 3 rows and sometimes 4.
I think it would be good for the newcomers but it is expensive in my opinion, better off learning the Snake.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Yeah I use the snake method as well..., Cant really comment on the S&S but the snake works a charm...

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
cs_rlewis

Post by cs_rlewis »

Yeah i think im gonna stick with the snake.
I think the slow n sear is just gonna be another toy that I dont really need. Maybe ill get the mrs to buy for my bday :P
the dane

Post by the dane »

More gadgets for the shed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

The S&S is used for the minion method of hot coals over unlit coals so they'll burn down rather than up which helps regulate the heat, the water in the barrier will act as heat sink. Its a good idea but very expensive for what it is.
The way i've always tackled this method is by using 2 brick pavers end to end or just overlapping a bit...its to barracade the radiant heat of the fire away from the food.

Dump a chimney of unlit coals in the barricaded area then about 15 hot lit coals (ashed over of course) ontop of unlit with some smoking wood chunks in between.

Bottom vents 25% open, top vent fully open, place small foil tray of water overtop on food grate where fire is...theres your heat sink....works a treat....monitor water level about 60-90 minutes.

Place a larger foil tray to fit between pavers and other side of kettle to go under the food.

Apart from food and coals, your only cost is for 2 brick pavers and with only 15 hot coals around them..they will/ should not explode as the heat to make them far exceeds that of a kettle bbq.

For consistancy of heat and durability...i always use heatbeads in the red bag but that doesn't mean you can't use lump or robot turds.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
cs_rlewis

Post by cs_rlewis »

Yeah the pricetag was the only thing putting me off, not sure I wanna spend so much money

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk