ThermoPro - I Tronics

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Bronson

ThermoPro - I Tronics

Post by Bronson »

I have collected a number of thermometers over the years and my go to one was a Maverick single probe, which resently has been playing up, I belive that using it in the smoker with water has gotten mositure into it. Now I thought I had fixed it by putting in an oven to dry it out and this did work but at approx 4hr into a long smoke it started jumping around again.
I was about to get the Maverick ET 733 when I came across a review from the states on a low and slow forum about ThermoPro thermometers and started looking at them as an option. It turns out both the Maverick and ThermoPro are manufactured in the same city/area in China, some think the same factory.
Well you can buy them direct, which I did and it was send via free post and arrived 5 days earlier then I was advised. From the day I ordered to the day it was available to be collected was 21 days, cost was just under $40 to buy plus the bank fee for oversea conversion, so ended up under 42.
The model I have purchased is the ThermoPro TP-08S, there are plenty of reviews on how it works etc etc in forums and YouTube so I will not bore you to tears with more of the same but I will point out some testing I have done and a change in the operation of the unit in general.
My main concern with this thermometer is distance plus working within a house, I setup the unit as per the instructions and ran a hot and cold test on the probes with them staying within 1-2 F of each other, I then checked how quick did the receiver update and this was between 60 seconds to 90 seconds while the transmitter was updating temps per second or close to, so if you need to know the temps quicker then 60 to 90 sec you will have to watch the transmitter, for smoking I have no issues with this time frame and my Maverick is the same so no difference.
The next concern is will it work over distance and it did ! I placed the transmitter on the ground under my smoker with the probes just placed inside it and closed the area up and went back up to the house and approx 30 sec later the receiver updated so went to the furthest spot inside away from the transmitter and then placed the receiver on the floor beside my bed and it worked, so happy days.
I have not used the unit yet in a cook as I have a stack of meat already cooked but will try for a cookup maybe next week, the only other thing to note is in all the online reviews they state that when you adjust the temps for both probes you can only go up in temp till you get to max and then it starts at minimum temp again.
The instructions in this unit I that I have bought state that you can adjust all setting up and down !!! I think the company has see the reviews and made a change to the unit. I'm looking forward to giving it a run in my smoker.
https://itronicsmall.com/collections/thermometers
I purhased mine though AliExpress at a better price then the above link.
Bronson

Re: ThermoPro - I Tronics

Post by Bronson »

20171024_051935-768x768.jpg
20171024_051935-768x768.jpg (116.63 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
Ok I am using this ThermoPro TP-08S for the first time today while smoking some pork I have it setup in the middle of my lounge room and the sender is in my bbq area that is a built in area with a metal roof and between that area and the house is a garden that has a number of tree's, in distance terms it is approx 25m maybe a little more and the transmtter and receiver are separated by brick and timber walls and tree's.
It is receiving the wifi/radio signal fine and is updating about every 90 seconds. There are a number of reviews on other webites/forums/youtube, and they all state that this model does not let you adjust the setting in either direction, only up until it starts are the minimum again. THIS IS INCORRECT.
In these instructions and when I setup this unit you can adjust all settings up and down ! Also it states that the adjustments are either by 1 unit per press or 10 units if held and again this is not the case, yes it does adjust by 1 unit per press but when you hold the button down it just goes up or down very fast not by jumps of 10, so you can scoll up or down very quickly.
The unit have given 1 beep every now and then and I have no idea why, it has happen twice so far, I have checked my temps setting and they are as I have set them so not sure what the beeps were or are about.
Will update as the day goes on or if anything major happens.
Bronson

Post by Bronson »

Well, I have since the last post used the ThermoPro over 6 times, with pork shoulders and chicken and beef, and it has worked without a hic up.
Here it is sitting beside me in our lounge while smoking another shoulder. The alarms work fantastic, as I now do more night cooks as it is cooler and it wakes me if the pit temps go above or below my program settings.
20171214_114654-768x768.jpg
20171214_114654-768x768.jpg (102.98 KiB) Viewed 7583 times
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Thanks Bronson, I have an account with AliExpress so I checked out the Thermopro. Have a great liking for the TP-20, can get it for under $53.00.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.