Thermoworks smoke

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
beginner

Thermoworks smoke

Post by beginner »

Had been using an ET 72 for years as my daily driver, good unit but was starting to play up a bit mostly just struggling to find a connection, getting old I guess. When I saw thermoworks was having a crack at a dual probe RF unit I had to jump on it seeing how good the thermapen has been. This thing is right up to that standard and built like a tank, good solid body with rubber strips to back it up when dropped, could probably actually jump on it.

Screens on both the Rx and Tx are a good size with crisp large numbers and backlight on demand. Settings are dead simple, high and low temps for each channel and on/off for each alarm, there are no factory presets like the maverick, it just hangs onto whatever you had set last, it's no nonsense.

Connection thus far has been solid with the Rx finding its connection within maybe 5 or 10 seconds of oning it, I've never dropped connection but don't get far enough away here that I'd expect to, word is the range is quite good though and from what I'm seeing it polls the Tx about every 20 seconds or so, more than quick enough in my opinion.

Probe selection from these guys is good, it ships with one meat and one ambient probe which have some kind of solid grip and a strain relief spring, quality build and not massive things like you find on cheap models, I had no issues with the maverick probes though. I grabbed an extra meat and sous vide probe when ordering, if all you want is 2 meats the cost goes up a little as it doesn't seem the ambient can be substituted.

One alteration vs the common setup is the Tx is now the 'master' unit with all the controls, the Rx is basically just a screen which with the provided lanyard can be worn as a medallion, either way it doesn't bother me but would have preferred a kickstand on the Rx as I like to just set it on the table to glance at every now and then, have to balance it slightly for that now.

Not much else to say about it I don't think, costs a bit at 100USD but feels like it's really built to last so will hopefully look after thousands worth of meat over time. Worth noting thermoworks has indicated they'll be releasing a wifi gateway this year, I've got the guru for that super long range kind of stuff so no interest here but if your BBQ is in proximity of wifi you'd be good to monitor it from the ISS with that thing.