Anyone using bbqguru and WSM?

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
beginner

Anyone using bbqguru and WSM?

Post by beginner »

I got a cyberq some time ago mostly for its wifi capability to eliminate range issues, but since it has the airflow control I rigged that up to one of my minis which has worked awesome, albeit total overkill. I figure it's better put to use in the 18.5 WSM where I conduct the lengthy cooks just to give me a little more freedom throughout the day. What I'm trying to work out and only really get one shot at is where to position the intake, so interested in anyone's setup and how it's working out.
beginner

Re: Anyone using bbqguru and WSM?

Post by beginner »

I ended up installing just above grate height, below seemed it might be more efficient but no good having it blowing ash everywhere, still experimenting with where to aim the vent but seems to be doing the job so far on a reasonably chilly night
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

beginner wrote:I ended up installing just above grate height, below seemed it might be more efficient but no good having it blowing ash everywhere, still experimenting with where to aim the vent but seems to be doing the job so far on a reasonably chilly night
Must say that is an interesting gadget :)

Will be keeping an eye open on how your cooks turn out and what your thoughts are on it.

Cheers L
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I have a WSM but for me, technology and smoking meat judt don't seem kosher but each to their own, some folks get a kick out of wiring up stuff.

I like the way I can load up the coals with the estimate amount of time I beleive it'll take with experience, I usually place a lot more unlit fuel than i need as you would require as a reserve.
I won't use it unless i know i can be home most the time to monitor it about every 90 minutes just to see how it's churning away and if i need to replenish the water in the bowl.

One thing I love about water smokers like the WSM is that with the water, temp spikes are not really that common so to keep the temp stable isn't an issue and the water bowl is good for about 4 hours before it needs replensishing. Probably one of the things that need tending is if theres a wind change or if the wind gets stronger outside, it may cause the fire to burn uneven if it's blowing towards a vent.

The steam from the water combined with the smoke from the wood chunks (placed on the coals to smoulder) will assist in a deeper penetration of the smoke.

Probably the only BBQ technology that i'm likely to use is an internal meat temp probe & monitor or the digital control of a Pellet Smoker...that's about the size of it.....but I love me WSM :)

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Glad you didn't off load that WSM Davo, I'm like you with mine, Just keep it simple for real smoked food.
Ive never used a guru type device to fan coals. So totally useless to answer the OP's question :oops:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Smokey wrote:Glad you didn't off load that WSM Davo, I'm like you with mine, Just keep it simple for real smoked food.
Ive never used a guru type device to fan coals. So totally useless to answer the OP's question :oops:
Yeah Mick, I'm glad I kept it ....it doesn't take up much space so at a pinch, if I end up living in an apartment which is looking more likely to happen in the next 6 Months, then I'll have to sell the Performer but will keep the WSM for a sneaky cook up when the wind is calm :twisted:
To me, technology is turning a knob...like on my Q320 :lol:

cheers

davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
beginner

Post by beginner »

Yeah I'm with you guys on keeping it simple, the WSM and minis hold a really steady temp and rarely seem to need much more than a few minor adjustments, too easy when you're sitting around it with a few beers which is something I love to do, on the other hand don't necessarily want to be chained to the thing. Up at the property we sometimes decide to do things like take the bikes and fourbys out for a paddock bash while the smokers running, I get a bit worried because depending where we're at it can take quite a while to get back to base, especially if we've got something stuck which would be par for the course. I've tried phoning in adjustments in the past but have found that not to be effective. The wifi connection is awesome for this as well, the regular RF units won't even stay connected if I take the receiver indoors (fair a mount of tin around which I'd say is the culprit), but with the wifi I have it piped out to the net so essentially unlimited range.

Davo I'm in an apartment here in the city and run a mini WSM once every week or two, haven't ever had any complaints but obviously neighbors can vary, really relaxing to just post up next to it for the afternoon with a couple mates and a box of beer, small footprint is very kind on the limited balcony space I have. Just knocked together a new one I'll make a thread and show you guys

edit: can't post those images as the board attachment limit has been reached? will try again later
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

You'll need to use photo bucket or flikr, 3rd party photo editors first then copy and paste the image code to the forum.

I hope it hasn't reached it's limit coz it really has never done before...let me know if any further issue and i'll get paul on it.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
beginner

Post by beginner »

Davo wrote:You'll need to use photo bucket or flikr, 3rd party photo editors first then copy and paste the image code to the forum.

I hope it hasn't reached it's limit coz it really has never done before...let me know if any further issue and i'll get paul on it.

Cheers

Davo
Ahhh OK I was trying to upload to here
Oviein

Post by Oviein »

Just my two cents...

I have the temp set at 230deg, temp is 239deg, fan damper is wide open (10cfm fan) Exhaust damper ~30%, using about 6lb of lump and about 6 hickory chunks.