Inkbird IBT-2X thermometer

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
CoraJase

Re: Inkbird IBT-2X thermometer

Post by CoraJase »

Well I'm on my second cook now with the Inkbird and I love it.

Xmas day I did a beef brisket, tested the probes in some water I'd just boiled and they read 99c so it appears accurately calibrated. Cook went well, didnt take any pics though. Bluetooth range isnt bad - I could still get a connection sitting on the crapper in the middle of the house with the unit in my back yard, line of sight with no obstructions I'd say easy 30m+

Today I'm doing a large slab of beef ribs.
20170102_105513.resized.jpg
20170102_105513.resized.jpg (181.73 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
20170102_113859_001.resized.resized.jpg
20170102_113859_001.resized.resized.jpg (208.59 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Here's the Android app screens:
Screenshot_20170102-132830.resized.jpg
Screenshot_20170102-132830.resized.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Screenshot_20170102-132841.resized.jpg
Screenshot_20170102-132841.resized.jpg (48.28 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Screenshot_20170102-132850.resized.jpg
Screenshot_20170102-132850.resized.jpg (44.7 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Ignore the "Brisket" heading on the internal temp setting - I'm just using the same preset for the ribs as I did for the brisket earlier.

For the price you cant go wrong!
Last edited by CoraJase on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
toastmaster1973

Post by toastmaster1973 »

Hey CoraJase,
Glad to hear its working out for you. Unfortunately I can't see your pics..
Mine arrived today but i didn't have time to do anything with it, hopefully in the next few days I can crank it up.
What are you doing with your probe wires?
I have read a few posts/forums on the issue and I'm thinking of drilling a hole and passing them through rather than squashing them between the lid and base.
Toast
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

toastmaster1973 wrote: What are you doing with your probe wires?
I have read a few posts/forums on the issue and I'm thinking of drilling a hole and passing them through rather than squashing them between the lid and base.
Toast
Why not just enlarge the small are where the wires lay, just big enough to allow the wires to sit there between the lid and base ?
I think it may be better than drilling a hole ??
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
CoraJase

Post by CoraJase »

Still haven't worked out a reliable way to share Google Photos! Was much better when it was Picasa. Fixed now I think.

I just hung the wires out between the lid and base - my old beat up weber doesn't seal that well anyhow. I may work something better out eventually but not too concerned at the moment.
toastmaster1973

Hi Mainey,
Yaa im a klutz. Reckon I'll put in a thermo port at some stage just to stop me chopping the wires with the lid:oops:
might just put them thru the lid vent to start with. Got a rolled pork shoulder and a lamb shoulder to look at over the next few days. I will give my thoughts on the IBT-2X then.
Cheers
toast
toastmaster1973

Hi Guys,
So I've had the thermo for a few weeks now and have to say that I have no issues with it at all. :wink:

This is my first digital thermometer so I have nothing to compare it to - I don't know if it comes close to a Maverick or Thermoworks but for the coin it's a great piece of kit.
As CoraJase has said, the thermometer pairs straight out of the box to your phone (about 15 sec), the software is easy to use & modify (set temps can be changed at will), accuracy seems bang on (99degC in boiling water) and the wifi range seems fine for my application. I can reach just past the crapper to the garage at the front of the house before signal starts to diminish. 8)

Set temp alarms or out of range alarms are also great if you are distracted with other things whilst a cook is in progress. I also 'saw' my first stall when I cooked a lamb shoulder thanks to the graphing function in the software - 79degC flatline for a couple of hours. beeeeeeeep.

I ended up putting a couple of bent bamboo skewers either side of the probe wires then placing the lid on, much easier than passing it through the lid vent. Sorry, no photo's I forgot.

All said and done i'm very happy with my purchase at this stage - I just need to get some more cooking under my belt. If you are looking at a cheaper thermometer and are happy with the functions the Inkbird offers, I say go for it. :D

toast
titch

Post by titch »

Very good review mate :wink:
Cheers
Titch
toastmaster1973

Cheers Titch :D
toast
choicebro

Post by choicebro »

Cheers Toastie,
I think I will push the go button on one of these once they restock the 2 probe ones they had for sale.

Currently I am using a Maverick ET-7 which is great and performs well, but I want to be able to look at the temp ranges in more details with the graphing feature and the price just seems too good to pass up.

Cheers
Choicebro
toastmaster1973

Hi choicebro,
Good stuff mate :) hope the review was helpful.
You will be able to give us a comparison between the Maverick & the Inkbird. Noice.
Yeah the price is good, could it be the poor man's Maverick :?:
Cheers
Toast
parker2004au

Post by parker2004au »

Just wanted to check-in and give a positive review for this one - bought one with one probe and decided I wanted a second one, contacted the supplier through eBay and $5 & a couple weeks later or so later a second probe arrived. Used it three times now, twice with pork shoulder & once with a leg of lamb. No complaints.

I'd give it two thumbs up.
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Finally pulled my finger out and ordered one will be here next week (they say) :shock:

Cheers L
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

lockyer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:57 pm Finally pulled my finger out and ordered one will be here next week (they say) :shock:

Cheers L
Well it did arrive in a timely manner, nicely packed and nice reuseable box as well. The probes have a silicon/rubber piece at the wire end that would not go though the ProQ probe inlet so you can slide the rubber piece up the wire and that lets you run the probe into the smoker. Next issue is the distance they CLAIM the bluetooth will reach is a huge piece of boloney!! Line of slight with nothing between and 25m is the best you get, if I sit it inside the smoker area (brick enclosure) 5 to 10m and if I go inside another metre away no signal !!! Take it out from the smoker enclosure and go inside and works fine within line of sight but move into the house a little and no signal !
Next issue is it does not sync with my Lenovo tablets Bluetooth, the inkbird BT is 4.0 so is the tablet, plus tablet has higher android spec so it is not that. Notice in all there instruction they state "phone/s" so if you wish to use this with a tablet will need to check if it will work with it. Connected fine to my Samsung phone.
I wil get a couple of those hi powered aaa batteries and see if that helps the BT range any.
The grill holder you get is sort of useless does not lock between the grill bars will get a piece of timber and use that to keep the 2nd probe in place.
But for $35 delivered I will deal with the isues hoping maybe better batteries fixes the BT range issue. Will test them out tomorrow , doing a smoked chook.
Cheers L
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

I put the IBT - 2X though it's paces today with a low and slow chook we cooked. The Inkbird is very responsive with updating the temps much quicker then my Maverick wireless probe, having the graph on my phone was great as you could see the fire temp dropping as the wind came up. You can adjust any of the temp setting to what you wish or prefur, I slid the rubber grip back along the cable and this allowed me to insert in though the side of my smoker. The second probe went in via the top air vent, I made a bit of timber to jam in between the cooking rack and then clipped the 2nd probe in place in the smoker. It is wet and windy here and the unit is not water proof so I had no choice but to keep it inside the smoker enclosure, this had the bluetooth range down to 5 or 6m and meant my phone had to stay outside to stay in signal range. Will give it 6 out of 10, but the bluetooth range is a major let down.

Cheers
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

OK went and spent almost $10 on 2 x AAA Lithium batteries, and the Bluetooth range is no better, so it is not better batteries !
I spoke with a tech guru about this device and he advised me to try using an old mirror if I had one laying around, and I did had one as it turned out so tried it and low and behold it worked !! I had almost 75% signal anywhere with our house, use by placing the mirror behind the Inkbird with it pointing back at the house. Mirrors reflect both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals !!!
The problem is that this is not practical at all but was interesting to know.
Cheers