Dry ageing meat at home - steak lovers rejoice!

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
funkysmell

Post by funkysmell »

I've come across this dry ageing appliance from the USA that is specifically for the domestic home kitchen. It was a successful kickstarter from last year and now they are starting to ship them out. If you ever wanted to replicate what the expensive steak houses do to there meat, then this just might be the thing. More info visit www.steaklocker.com

I'll get more info on pricing direct from the supplier and look into importing one for myself and anyone else that wants to piggy back onto my order. My rough guess is this will cost around $2500 AUD landed, ouch.
Peter "funkysmell"

Weber Kettle / Smokenator / Party Q/ Weber Q / GMG Daniel Boon Pellete cooker / Thermapen 5C/ wood fired pizza oven
aussieant32

Re: Dry ageing meat at home - steak lovers rejoice!

Post by aussieant32 »

Seem to recall seeing this ages ago?

I have wanted to convert a wine fridge into one of these for a while now, can't see it being too difficulty, however, won't have the bells and whistles like this
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

There are a lot of other things in BBQ I'd buy before I spent that sort of money on one.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Gumb wrote:There are a lot of other things in BBQ I'd buy before I spent that sort of money on one.
Me as well.....although, I'm kinda drawn to the idea of steaks hanging on display in the lounge room......I'll run it past management, listen out, you'll probably be able to hear her reaction all the way over east in an hour or two! :evil:
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
burb

Post by burb »

I love the idea! I love checking out dry aged beef cabinets at Rockpool, Print Hall, Hampshire on Eighth etc to see what's on offer. Will have to wait until I get the next house with a bigger kitchen to incorporate into though...
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

burb wrote:I love the idea! I love checking out dry aged beef cabinets at Rockpool, Print Hall, Hampshire on Eighth etc to see what's on offer. Will have to wait until I get the next house with a bigger kitchen to incorporate into though...
I'm thinking I could set it into the wall so the door is like a picture frame! :D
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

The controlled humidity would be a nice feature, but I have found in my years of Dry Aging it is not a must. For the Commercial interest, yes, as that is there business. For Average Joe, I have Dry Aged with as much as 75% RH and as low as 12%, and the loss is not as significant as one might think. The most important part is temperature, you cant screw around with that. I use a 2nd fridge to do mine...works well. As I said, RH control would be nice, but my $600 Sears fridge works just fine, and it is 5 times as large!

But if ya got the Money, sure it is a very sweet device!

75% RH...35 days.

50% RH...43 days.

Appx 25% RH...28 days.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

mate set up a fridge to make salamis - he controls RH and temp with a couple cheap easily found bits and pieces - i think it cost him $100 - $200.

I'll see what i can find out and report back
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

I dri aged some meat a couple of years ago just put a bit of meat on a ss rack over a tray of salt in the beer fridge
Some day I will build a dedicated one
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Misty gully or whatever they are called now have a dry aging bag system that's very easy and works well regardless of your fridge type. I use that instead of buying a dedicated appliance as I don't have room
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Misty Gully are only wholesalers now. The retail side of the business was sold and is here : http://www.smokedandcured.com.au/banque ... arcuterie/
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Yeah that's the one - still haven't got used to the change in name and business
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

I found that the simplest and cheapest way to age beef is to buy a large sealed Cryovac bag of Porterhouse or Rump etc and leave it at the bottom of the fridge for 4-6wks. The meat is initially bright red but goes grey over a month or so while it is ageing. After 4-6wks, open it and rinse out the bad smelling blood and you end up with great aged beef. If you then cut it up and freeze it, it gets even more tender as the freezing breaks the meat down further. Marinading it later makes the meat even more tender. I can cut the aged beef med rare steaks with a fork!
Another way to make great tasty aged meat is to buy fresh beef, then vacuum seal it in a bag with some marinade liquid. Vacuum sealing draws the marinade deep into the meat. Age it like a cryovac bag.
Here's a pic from a famous US Steakhouse, see young red beef on left and aged grey beef on right.
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Terry, what you are referring to is wet aging, as opposed to dry aging - you end up with a different result. Not bad, just different. Not sure about the freezing bit though on prime cuts.
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

Sorry Fellas, yes this is Wet Ageing. It works very well though, many restaurants do it. I learned myself that freezing the meat makes it more tender, and a few Chefs that I've spoken to, do the same. Dry ageing or Hanging is done by many Butchers in their sealed sanitary meat fridge.
That pic is of a San Francisco Restaurant that is well known for great aged steaks.