Kitchen Scales advice

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Hogsy

Kitchen Scales advice

Post by Hogsy »

I've been looking for some kitchen scales and was wondering what everyone else uses
There's plenty of digital models on eBay , but unsure what brands are good and what's not
I'm after a set that measure down to 1-2 grams and up to 5-10 kgs
Any advice would be appreciated
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Smokey

Re: Kitchen Scales advice

Post by Smokey »

I have the Brevel scales that measure in 1.0 grams up to 5 kg. Very good. They also take room temp which is handy with baking pizza dough. They also do a few other things I forget and don't use.
However there are heaps of cheap mini druggy type scales that measure .1 or .01 on eBay if your playing around with SN for small batch curing where you might need 3.75 g and so forth.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Yes it's looking like I might need two scales
One for cures and one for meat
I'll check the Breville scales out
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I've got one of those little Coke type scales from the bay, looks like a business card holder but works a treat, small, but I find it really handy for measuring my um, nutmeg!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

One thing I found is check what batteries it uses.
One I got uses 2 watch type ones and they go flat quick - say couple of months and cost a bit to replace.
I changed to a different type which uses 2 AAA. last longer and much cheaper to replace.

Cheers
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

I use those little watch type battery's in my brewing thermometer jaycar $7 to$ 9 each 50 landed from fleebay $8.00
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

The last time I got cheap batteries from eBay, they were all past their use by date and didn't last long. The scales we have go through batteries like I go through red wine. :roll:
gindemon

Post by gindemon »

We got given a Tupperware set of scales. Yellow ones. Accurate enough to measure out single digit grams of cure, goes up to at least 3-4kg, haven't tried weighing anything more than that. They work a treat.
"The Meat Sweats" Competitive BBQ Team
Port Macquarie 2014 - 1st
Bangalow 2014 - 1st
2014 Jack Daniels World Championship BBQ - 19th/94 overall, 1st/20 international teams
Melbourne 2015 - 3rd
Port Macquarie 2015 - 1st
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Thanks gindemon, I picked up a set from aldi yesterday for $10, probably cheap and nasty but for $10 there worth a try
Weight range of 10g-5kg, I guess I'll have to buy another set to measure my ummm.....Parsley
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

I must be a heathen, aside from flour for bread I hardly ever weigh anything when cooking :)

I can appreciate the need with cure for example but most everything else I just go by feel. I'm thinking most cooks do, thus the terms a pinch of this etc :)

My own kitchen scales, some unknown brand of digital will weigh down to 10g, but I don't think I've ever used them for that degree of accuracy.

If I ever were to need to be that accurate then I do still mess around with vinyl records, mostly setting up turntables for people. For that I have a set of cartridge scales purchased in the golden era of vinyl, also digital, will measure to a tenth of a gram but never been used in the kitchen.

Cheers